Using Fernox Cleaner and Protector on Potterton 13 year old Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Will it damage my 13 year old Potterton Combi boiler if I put Fernox Cleaner F3 into the heating system and leave it running hot during winter for 5 days (or should it be less??) before draining it and put in the Fernox F1 Protector after words? Should I do it in the summer and so reduce the heating cycles - not sure hot water will somehow make the Fernox Cleaner F3 worse?

I have 8 radiators in my semi D and the Fernox is 500mL in each bottle. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is there a reason you'd want to do it now instead of wait until Spring/Summer? If it's otherwise working fine I'd leave it until the worst of the weather is over.

If you haven't got a magnetic filter on the return pipe then you could make things worse for yourself.

Thanks..

I do intend to do it when the weather has improved but asked ahead of time now that I am sort of free during this break.

I have a magnetic filter installed 5 years ago.

it was just that my boiler was whistling at higher temperature that I thought my boiler may have scales and thought of cleaning the entire system with fernox cleaner and then put in the protection. But not sure whether the cleaner will corrode a 13 year old boiler and causes it to leak.. or there can be so much sludge thar it clogs up the boiler.

so hence seeking some advice.. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back