Glow-Worm Fuelsaver Boiler 45F and Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Really hoping someone can help me.

I have a Glow-Worm Fuelsaver Boiler 45F which is approx 18 years old.

Over the last few weeks I have been getting a rumbling noise but it's difficult to tell if its coming from the boiler or the pipes above.

The noise occurs when the boiler has been on for a few minutes and is just about to cut out as it reaches it's max temp. The rumbling starts quietly each time and then builds to a very loud noise before the boiler cuts out, only to repeat this a few mins later when the boiler comes back on. Not sure if boiler is cutting out early because of this as water and heating are still nice and hot.

It was first bad when it was just the hot water circuit working but now it also does it with the heating but not always, always does it when hot water only is going.

I called a gas repair guy who said it was sludge in the system so have had the whole system drained, de-sludged with Fernox F3 Cleaner, flushed through and refilled with Fernox F2 Silencer and F1 Protector but it hasn't made any difference to the noise.

Gas guy is wondering if it's heat exchanger or a new boiler needed. Don't know if I can get heat exchanger for the boiler as old and don't want to go to expense of new boiler with out knowing exactly what problem is as thinking both these things could still result in no change in noise.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
boiler stat possibly gone and getting too hot /pump wearing and not clearing heat properly(should be on top speed). Possible new heat exchanger req

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back