DIY Garden Cabin or 'Ready Made' ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden cabin. This link shows the sort of thing I am planning : http://www.dhleisureandgarden.com/acatalog/rhine-Log-Cabin.html

My question is: What would be the difference in price for me to purchase the raw materials and build my own? For the dimensions I am planning (approx. 3m x 2.5/3m) the cost is around £1300 - £1500. There are much more expensive cabins available, but this price and quality is suitable to my needs.

There is obviously a big advantage in having a 'ready made' one in terms of it being easy to build, but I'd be interested to know how much I could save by making my own. My thoughts are that any saving I could make could be used to make a 'better' cabin - i.e. double glazed, slate/tiled roof, insulated walls, etc.

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
i built my self a 12ft by 10ft shed with txg treated shiplap as hermes suggest i also used 12mm ext ply as he suggests
hermes has forgoten to mention the 3by2" treated for the floor and sawn 3by2"for the frame plus other sundry treated wood for the corners the edge off the roof ect

heres my shopping list

24m 3x2 tr £23 80
100m 3x2 sawn £75 93
9sheets 18mm eterior ply [roof and floor] £162 71
260m tr shiplap £206 39
8m 4x1" tr sawn £007 12
16m 3x1" tr sawn £10 11
16m 2x1"tr sawn £oo6 78

£493 38 plus vat
£579 72

plus glazing felt brick peirs electrics windows door and locks

Thanks guys, your info has been very useful and has convinced me to build it myself as it is quite a saving.

Your list is great 'big-all', as 12x10 is pretty much the size I will be going for, so I can probably just take your sizes down to my local timber merchant. It'll be very close to what I need.

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
mines is a shed as in internal floor 10 x12ft but without a veranda

so if you are going for a veranda you would need to alter the material some what

if you do go ahead with your plans give us a shout and i or someone else will help :D ;)

Thanks big-all. I suspect that it will be a late summer, or autumn job as I have some other priorities
shuffle.gif
- but I'll keep you posted when it comes to the planning stage.

Cheers
agree.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back