Garden Cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our new baby is making working at home tricky so investigating getting something built in the garden that will serve as a year round home office and gym.

Got my eye on this https://www.sheds.co.uk/oren-5m-x-3-8m-countess-log-cabin.html as the cabins that are marked as insulated are twice the price and like the UPVC doors/windows.

Had a look at ground screws but will probably have this on a concrete base unless the quote to pour this is huge. Will insulate the floor and roof but not sure if 44mm cladding is okay for year round use.

Has anyone ever insulated the walls of a cabin? Is it needed/worthwhile?

Ta

Sponsored Links
yeah you would definitely need insulation all round if you're hoping it to be usable all year round. "cladding" is just wood and wood is not a good insulator. It will also have next to no thermal mass so it will be boiling when the sun is on it and freezing the rest of the time. You will still need a decent electric heater in there to keep the heat up (assuming you can even afford the running cost by next autumn)

Sorry to say there's a reason that insulated ones are still offered, despite the cost being double.

You can definitely save big time by insulating it yourself, depending which type of insulation you go for and how much youy value your time.

I fitted one with an insulated roof and floor with 44m logs, but it was not for year round use. You will lose 70-100 mm on each wall inside to insulate it.

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to just try to build something. I remember when the dormer was built for my loft conversion - box was built in a day, then covered with ply, membrane, weather board?, insulated inside and boarded, rendered outside. Seemed very easy (if you know how!) and cheap.

I'm sure a timber structure on a good base would be just as easy to build, and much better insulated, than any off-the-shelf shed. And you get exactly what you want.

For heating, an air source heat pump - now VAT free?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back