diy gas work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive read a couple of times on this site that it is permited to work on your own gas appliance's.. ive always thought it cnt be right, is it?

Sponsored Links
Technically if you are stupid enough to do it, anyone can work on appliances in their own home :eek:

What happens when they come to sell? Have they then worked on someone elses appliances?

i know it would be stupid for someone who int corgi reg 2carry out certain tasks, but i was jus curious if technically they are permitted to?

Sponsored Links
Technically if you are stupid enough to do it, anyone can work on appliances in their own home :eek:

What happens when they come to sell? Have they then worked on someone elses appliances?

Please explain, you are generalizing again.

Corgi Has stated in writing that DIY gas is not a problem in this Country.

There's engineers and experts in far more difficult jobs than Gas, at least give some of them credit.

True some shouldn't go near a cooker to boil a kettle, but in general the diyer knows the risk, and is prepared to ask for advice when needed.

Should I, be allowed to DIY on my own gas, should any BG engineer be allowed to DIY at home, a couple of examples :rolleyes:

Please explain, you are generalizing again.

Corgi Has stated in writing that DIY gas is not a problem in this Country.

There's engineers and experts in far more difficult jobs than Gas, at least give some of them credit.

True some shouldn't go near a cooker to boil a kettle, but in general the diyer knows the risk, and is prepared to ask for advice when needed.

Should I, be allowed to DIY on my own gas, should any BG engineer be allowed to DIY at home, a couple of examples :rolleyes:

i dont think any1 should be allowed to work on gas or parts of a appliance which could affect combustion unless they hav had training

what you afraid of losing work. :rolleyes:
whether it's illegal or not you'll never stop people doing it.
it's illegal to fiddle the gas and turn your meter round yrs ago. but we done it

I would like to answer this from a legal point of view but I'm a bit worried about Mod10 getting upset. ;)

it's illegal to fiddle the gas and turn your meter round yrs ago. but we done it

not afraid of losin work because my customers no quality :LOL: seriously i wa jus curious as ive seen it mentioned a few time but dint think it wa rite

not afraid of losin work because my customers no quality :LOL: seriously i wa jus curious as ive seen it mentioned a few time but dint think it wa rite
[/quote]

Hope your workmanship is better than your spelling! :LOL:

Is that no quality, as in rubbish, rough, cowboy etc, or know quality when they see it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I don't really feel that I am generalising unnecessarily. Anyone can actually install/work on their own gas appliances, but obviously cannot notify it to BC :confused:

Whether their house insurance etc is valid afterwards is another grey area.

i know how to spell no :LOL: but thanx 4the 1's tht pointed it out, i do tend to revert to txt lingo but try not to on the forums as i no most of ya dnt like it!!!!

GSIUR is the source document - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm

There's also an edict from Corgi HERE
can y'all see that pdf???

I'll try to summarise but probably get a detail wrong...

Anyone non-Corgi-Registered can do gas work as long as
1) they're competent (no definition exists, other than in IGE publications where it says something like Trained + Qualified + Experienced)
2) they're not employed to do it (could that include Dad working for Daughter??) No mention is made of payment.
3) It's not in rented accommodation

Part 26.9 of GSIUR says you have to check basics like gas tightness, flues, vents, safety controls... after any "Work".

I've never met any diy'er who knows how to do a tightness test, even if he has the kit. (I DO meet a lot of rgi's who don't know how to do it!)

It would be impossible for a diy'er to PROVE he's competent, and of course as soon as he does something wrong, he's proved the opposite.

Shouldn't annoy Mod 10, should it? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back