DIY Heat Bank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone successfully made an effecient fully working heat bank. If so would they like to share details. I really fancy having a go. Have seen a few posts but seems that those made are not quite as they should be.

Sponsored Links
Dunno m8 but I've had to fix a few commercial ones round here. Their pcb's seem to be very sensetive to external influences. The driver chips blow when the device they drive goes, they don't seem to be protected. Most common failure is the heating system pump failing, but my most recent one was Glowworm Micron pcb blowing and taking out thermal store pcb with it. If I had just replaced thermal store part good old Micron would have taken that too. Fortunately I knows thes Micron's of old and would only hang one on my wall if you gave it me and supplied me 10 pcb's, one for every year of my estimated life expectancy of the rest of the boiler.

But anyway, your control system is your main problem, and clearly causes problems for companies with a lot more R and D budget than you.

irose said:
Has anyone successfully made an effecient fully working heat bank. If so would they like to share details. I really fancy having a go. Have seen a few posts but seems that those made are not quite as they should be.

Im not sure what PB is on about( trying to blind you with the science bit I think ) or whether it is relevant to this thread at all but if your talking about fitting a plate heat exchanger to a cylinder of hot water in order to deliver mains pressure hot water then theirs not a lot to it.

Sponsored Links
Balenza said:
irose said:

Im not sure what PB is on about( trying to blind you with the science bit I think ) or whether it is relevant to this thread at all but if your talking about fitting a plate heat exchanger to a cylinder of hot water in order to deliver mains pressure hot water then theirs not a lot to it.

PB seems to be talking about commercial ones so obviously more complex.

Yes you are right, I'm talking about adding a PHE along with pumps flow switches etc. Its just that I've seen basic diagram then others add that it should have this and that. Not seen the completed optimum model!

If it is as simple as looks, why do DPS want a fortune for one? Is there a supplier maybe that offers something similiar for a relistic price?

irose wrote

If it is as simple as looks, why do DPS want a fortune for one?

To balance the books ??.
The UV installation costs more so it levels itself out.
Have a look at their mains conversion kits. Very tidy looking and easily retrofitted to an existing cylinder.

The DPS units don't appear to be all that but you are still paying for their experience, their R&D, their overheads and if they're lucky their profits

I'd estimate that if I booked the time I spent on research at a reasonable £10ph I'd have spent more than they want by the time you include cylinders, pumps, control units etc etc. Not to mention the cost of a plumber for a day to assemble and test it all.
Of course DIY means you don't get payed and you don't employ a plumber so the cost saving is quite significant. Not to mention the fact that if/when my system goes baboom I haven't had to offer a guarantee.....
I'd estimate a total cost well under £150 for my conversion "kit"

If you look into the Gledhill units they seem to be much more technically advanced and use flow control on the store pump. This will make the system much much more efficient with a condensing boiler as far as I can see

Couple that with a thermal blender on the return and you should be able to guarantee that the boiler condenses for the entire time it's heating the store

I have the control systems up and running just fine on mine but since it's still indirectly gravity heated from a 50yo boiler it's far from efficient. That should change when it's directly heated by a new boiler

It is 100% functional though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back