Heat bank by HTG Engineering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am new to this forum so if this question is in the wrong place - Sorry. This is also my first serious bucks heating engineering project.

I am renovating a Crog Loft Cottage in the farthest reaches of North Wales. I want to use a Thermal Store/Heat Bank - i have had several prices from Chelmer / Xcel / Advanced Appliances for 300 ltr unit with solar thermal, 2 immersion heaters for solar PV, solid fuel heat exchanger, and gas boiler - then HTG Engineering Heat Bank came in with a quote for the same but they offered a 500 ltr system but £700 cheaper.

The main difference is that HTG do not use coils (apart from solar coils) and their coil and tank are stainless steel - the water from the heat store is pumped DIRECTLY through the gas and solid fuel boilers - the hot water take off is via a 120kw exterior plate exchanger giving 46 litters per min flow rate. The underfloor heating has its own pressurised exterior heat exchanger to keep the system water clean from that in the heat bank.

AFTER A VERY LONG INTRO ANYONE USED, EXPERIENCED, KNOW OF HTG Engineering Heat Bank. All comments really really welcome.

PS i know all about Gledhill and how bad they are! Thanks in advance keith

Sponsored Links
No sorry - I am a Photographer

Since the post i have looked at the Xcel heat bank and the seem to be exactly the same as the HTG but a lot cheaper?

Hi. We looked long (very long) at the heat bank situation, read a million comments etc etc and have now got the following:

wood burning stove with back boiler 8kW of water heating
new ideal gas boiler
solar eventually (new roof first, ouch)

It boiled down (no pun intended) to two we thought looked good.

We do now have our heat bank delivered and it is going in next month if we get a couple of mild days. ("IF")

We only have under floor heating in the extension (large kitchen diner and conservatory) so we have a heat exchanger for the hot water and another one for the under floor (JG Speedfit pipe is the under floor).

We paid about £2800 and its a 400 size. that was for what's in the photo plus temperature gauges and a metal tank for the loft which the plumber says we need and some chemicals we're told to put in the heating.

Good luck!
[/img]

Sponsored Links
The HTG seems pricey - did you look at the Gledhill Torrent Greenheat Sol? Seems like a very similar set up but a lot cheaper (£1450 ex VAT)? My plumber is recommending a Gledhill for a very similar set up to yours but comments about Gledhill customer service on various forums are a bit worrying?

Looks like a rebadged Joule with their own porting arrangement.
Kotly sell a 400/L triple coil store for £1200 quid.
x0ew.jpg

We did a lot of digging before we bought the HTG - we never considered the gledhill and the other sort of mass market cylinders it was apparent they didnt come as we wanted it. They came like that joule one, bare.

From what I see the joule ones are made in ireland, these are made in England. We didnt want an import and there do seem to be a lot around.

We found DPS and HTG who did these with all the bits and bobs fitted to them. We had figured out that either of these would give us the hot water we're going to need, but the ones with a coil inside for hot water wouldnt.

When push came to shove, there wasnt much between DPS and HTG, I am sure we'd have been happy with either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back