DIY liquid floor screed.....bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

After getting a £1250 quote for 18m2 of floor screed at 50mm, I thought I would investigate other options. I will require liquid screed for my extension with underfloor heating. I cannot go for a dry screed as I only have 50mm to work with.

Has anyone ever DIY'ed liquid floor screed? I see it is not recommended but I'm struggling to see why...

1:3 liquid mix of sand / cement with added fibres. 6-7 batches mixed up in a paddle mixer making sure to get ratios exact every time. Possibly an added additive for speedier drying. I would set floor level tripods in various places levels with my lazer level and would Wheelbarrow the mix in onto prefilled/pressurised underfloor heating pipes.....all for under 300 quid....is this really a bad idea? What am I missing :D

Advice welcome. Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I expect that you would be missing a flat floor. A good tradesman would get that floor within a few millimetres of flat and level all over. I suspect that DIY wont get close.
But it would be a flowing liquid? is it any different to someone mixing up their own self levelling floor screed which is done all the time by Diyers...:unsure:

Sponsored Links
You only get one shot at it going over UFH, so it's a gamble getting the mix and the laying spot on if you've never done it before.
I've mixed my own for small areas adding SBR, but wouldn't fancy it for a room with pipes.
Weber make ready made bags for small areas, but you'd need over 60 for that at around £20 a bag.
Let us know if you have a go.
An extra point if you are using bags of sand is getting the exact amount of water into the mix, as sand varies in how much water it's holding.

Add some SBR. I think you're after a "bonded" screed. If it gets away from you just finish a bit low and put a thin coat of SLC on later.

Or get another quote, that's ridiculous for one room - presumably not worth their while.

I did my garage once, first time ever as a newbie. I used proper stuff, whisked up in a bucket. It was OK for a garage but not good enough for a room in the house. Had a few humps and bubbles.

Thanks for the replies. I must say it does make me a little nervous! What would you say a reasonable price should be for this amount of screed supplied and pumped by a company?

Last edited:
Get some more quotes? I had southern liquid screeds do mine a few years back. 9x3m at 55mm and it was £1k... extra £150 to have it "sanded"

Well worth just getting it done by someone.

You can hire out a screed mixing pumping thing to DIY it? Or just order it straight off a truck if you are feeling brave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back