screed and elec floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to raise the existing floor in my kitchen \ dinner approx 60mm from the existing concrete floor.

I have a cable underfloor heating kit and I wil be putting down 8-10mm thick slate floor tiles over the cables. Therefore i probably need to lay a 45 - 50mm screed?

The last one is did was incredibly dusty in the lounge and i'm worried about the adhesive bond between the screed and the tiles! Do i just need a stronger mix and more water in the screed to avoid this?

The last screed i did was a very dry mix would stick toeghter if you squeezed it in your hand and behaved more like damp sand than wet concrete/mortar. Is a wetter mix easier to level off than a really dry mix?

Any comments would be great thanks!

Sponsored Links
i tend to lay screed with a 4/1 mix and mix up some PVA to water 4/1 then each mix put in a coke bottle amount in the mix you want it damp not dry or wet DAMP
let it mix nice and good cat you lay a coat of flooring compound over the top when its dry laytex

thanks for that, i was putting in some fairly liquid to improve workability but didnt really notice the effects to be honest!

I used 1:6 mix from memory, will try 1:4 this time/

fairly liquid NO NO 4/1 all the way the most i do is 5/1 you can add fibers in the mix or even SBR sorted

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice,

what about adding a small quantity of concrete balast to the mix? Would that improve the stength, say 1.4.1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back