slump for floor screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
relaying the kitchen floor, hardcore and DPC is down, just not sure what 'slump' to order for the readymix for the main slab

area is 3x3mm and laying it about 120mm deep, this will have 75mm insulation and underfloor heating in 65mm screed after.

structural engineers recommended reinforcing the main slab with wire mesh.

whats best, very dry mix, lay 50mm lay the wire then lay the rest on top, or prop the wire on blocks so it'll sit in the middle of the screed and request a wetter mix.

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
area is 3x3mm and laying it about 120mm deep, this will have 75mm insulation and underfloor heating in 65mm screed after.

structural engineers recommended reinforcing the main slab with wire mesh.
For the sake of a couple of tonne of gear we would mix this ourselves affording us time to faff about with the mesh.

I would personally go for a thinner slab (100mm) and have a thicker screed.

Having reinforcing in such a small thick slab seems a bit much to me. Is the ground beneath unstable?

As for slump, you are fretting and reading too much into it.

If you do happen to have readymix just make sure that the gear is workable. Lay a couple of inches down, drop the mesh on then lay the rest.

If you've got a decent layer of hardcore and good ground below that, you won't have any problems with the concrete. The mesh would be there to prevent shrinkage cracking, but as long as the concrete doesn't dry too quickly, mass concrete of that size on a DPM should not crack anyway.

Sponsored Links
Cheers everyone.

Wire mesh was recommended as the house had subsidence in the past and although there's been no movement recently it was recommended as a precaution.

Only confused over the slump rating as I've not done a floor this big before and the ready mix company insisted I tell them the slump rating before ordering!

As for thickness, I have a desperate ugh contractor who recommended no thicker than 70mm for the top screed, so would need to increase the main slab so it's the right hight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back