screed for patching?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some holes in a floor that need patching..
there is another concrete floor under one with the holes in so I'm assuming that it's screeded on top..
it's about 2 inches thick.
what can I patch it up with?
would a mortar mix be ok to use as a screed?
how dry do I put it in?

Sponsored Links
Screed is sharp sand and cement, usually mixed at about 4:1, with only enough water to keep it together when squeezed in your hand.

Sponsored Links
thanks.. seems I'll need more than I thought anyway..
the whole area inside what used to be the pantry ( i presume ) needs to come up and be re-screeded.. it's about 10mm higher than the rest of the floor and curves up sharply where the walls used to be..
I just hope that the floor I see in the bottom of the holes is an actual floor and not just the tops of the wall below..

If your taking it all up and putting a new screed down I would re-inforce it with a light mesh and fibres..

The paper may be building paper which you can still get hold of. I've never seen a floor like that so cant comment on how or why it was done like that, sorry.

i thought the wooly type insulation might be for thermal and acoustic isolation from downstairs maybe?

I'm not looking forward to knocking it all out tomorrow..

ok so I took the mortar back and got 2 bags of sharp sand and a half a bag of cement ( it's half the size when placed on top of the bag of sand anyway.. )

di I need to add water or will the damp sand be enough ( its sort of lumpy.. seems to clump together in the bag.. so I'm assuming it's fairly damp sand )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back