DIY loft conversion help needed - starting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you no longer need planning permission for a loft conversion (or am i wrong) i thought i will make a project for my self.

First I'm going to do the electrics by coming off the main feeders to the DB downstairs and installing a new DB in the loft to feed sockets and light.
I'm a qualified (HNC) Electrician btw.

I'm half way through boarding out under the eves to store all the junk.

Now heres where i need help.
The main area, i want to suspend a floor. In the loft now there is two lengths (one either side of the loft) of 10x2" (i need to double check measurements) running from wall to wall, it sits in the brick work. The 10x2 is about 3ft up from the loft floor level and it suspending the present floor level, although it is not load bearing.

I need held of how to suspend, a floor from these 10x2 lengths, if it is safe to do so?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
HNC doesn't make you an electrician.. it makes you an electrical engineer.. C&G makes you an electrician.. ( on paper anyway.. ).

anyway.. this might be better suited in "floors, lofts and stairs" section of the forum..

try this site.. it's a guys site documenting his own loft conversion and some of the pitfalls and tips he found whilst doing it..

I would check with your local council planning department to check whether you need planning permission or not. Even if you don't, you will still need building control approval either by submitting a full plans application or using a building notice.

ColJack said:
HNC doesn't make you an electrician.. it makes you an electrical engineer.. C&G makes you an electrician.. ( on paper anyway.. ).

anyway.. this might be better suited in "floors, lofts and stairs" section of the forum..

try this site.. it's a guys site documenting his own loft conversion and some of the pitfalls and tips he found whilst doing it..

You try telling my work that, and i would be on alot more money! Lets say a high end electrician!

Thanks for the link anyway :)

Sponsored Links
gadgevxr said:
In the loft now there is two lengths (one either side of the loft) of 10x2" (i need to double check measurements) running from wall to wall, it sits in the brick work. The 10x2 is about 3ft up from the loft floor level and it suspending the present floor level, although it is not load bearing.

I need held of how to suspend, a floor from these 10x2 lengths, if it is safe to do so?

Thanks guys!

So they are 3 ft above the existing floor, and they hold it up? and you want to hang another floor from them. What's holding them up?

Deluks said:
So they are 3 ft above the existing floor, and they hold it up? and you want to hang another floor from them. What's holding them up?

answer is in the quote...

gadgevxr said:
....running from wall to wall, it sits in the brick work.

doesn't sound like it's suspending the floor.. sounds like it's holding up the rafters and is braced onto the floor along it's length..

the "floor" will be resting on the exterior walls and interior load bearing walls.. ( usually mid span.. )..

best way is to put larger floor joists in between the existing ones and spaced up with packers so that they don't contact the ceiling below..

gadgevxr said:
As you no longer need planning permission for a loft conversion (or am i wrong) i thought i will make a project for my self.

I was planning to do this myself. You will need building regs from local council. If you are planning to use as an extra bedroom etc. you will need the building regs cert when you come to sell the house otherwise the room can only be considered "glorified storage" and would not add much (if any) value to the place.

I found the regs really strict and much more work was required than I first envisaged!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back