Basement conversion - floor options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked at converting my loft I am now investigating the otpioms for converting my basement. Floor to ceiling height is approx 2.7m but as the floor is currently just a concrete block of some sort I don't know what the options are for flooring and how they would affect the effective ceiling height.

The conversion would be to make a bedroom and living room so needs to be done properly. Will a suspended floor likely be needed and if so how much space do these normally take?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It's an odd setup actually. The house is a bungalow but is like a standard 2 floor detached house, with 2 sides buried up the first floor. So the basement is already used for garden storage and has a full door. One wall joins onto the garage which could also be used. I would imagine we wouldn't use the full width to maybe simplify the water control from the 2 buried sides.

Sponsored Links
Ok hopefully these pics will help explain

So you can see the basement and door and how the ground starts going up to the side. Inside you can see the floor covering, the structural support walls which would need to come down and also how the builders sloped the basement floor up towards the buried walls.
IMG_20170126_161756.jpg IMG_20170126_161810.jpg IMG_20170126_161824.jpg IMG_20170126_161830.jpg IMG_20170126_161824.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back