Staircase pitch to basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm trying to convert my basement into a habitable area and having multiple problems with trying to get each stage through building control. I've managed to prove my point on the all the other ones but it looks like they have me over a barrel on the staircase. Because I have to raise the floor to add the insulation they are saying I need to adjust the staircase to have equal height steps, the problem is that the current staircase is 1770mm long and 2300mm high, well past the 42 degree max pitch allowed.

Is there anything that anyone can suggest I can do, I have asked to install an alternating thread staircase but it has been refused because building regs say it can only be used for a loft conversion not a basement conversion. I've seen a post online about building regs allowing this before but the people I have seem adamant it's not allowed.

There's only 880mm at the base of the stair to the brick wall so that will lose 100mm after cladding already. There's a small amount of room at the top of the stairs but I'm not sure I'll be able to extend that far before it blocks the passageway. The basement is only 200mm high too so the stairs need to be straight?

Does anyone know anything that could help out that because I'm starting to panic that the work I have put into the basement so far has gone to waste. If someone is a builder and wants to come around and provide a quote on a possible solution then I'd be up for arranging a time, I live in West Ham, London.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've been told by building control that unfortunately this does only apply to loft conversions and not a basement one. They have said that because the current flight is of that pitch I can keep the pitch as long as it adheres to the other regulations that I can comply to :)

Sponsored Links
Tell building control you have given up on using the basement then fit want you want after sign off.

Thanks, I've been told by building control that unfortunately this does only apply to loft conversions and not a basement one. They have said that because the current flight is of that pitch I can keep the pitch as long as it adheres to the other regulations that I can comply to :)

Your building control person is incorrect; BS 5395 (Stairs for Limited Access) specifically allows steeper stairs for loft conversions AND basement conversions - Google it and see para. 4.3 on page 3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back