minimum stair width for loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a minimum width for stairs upto a loft conversion?

I'm going to put a new staircase over the existing one and want to have as little impact as possible on a small front bedroom. I was thinking a narrower stair would allow a bigger door on the bedroom and also give a bit extra on the landing at the top.

I'm looking at this online stair designer:

https://www.tkstairs.com/stair-designer/quarterturn

The main house stairs are 72cm wide and I feel we could easily manage with narrower ones.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
just keep in mind if you have a right angle
you reduce the size of furniture you can get up there far greater than the width reduction
reduce the width by 10% you need to reduce the furniture size by around perhaps 15-20%
if you also reduce the door width by 10% you now have a 30-40% reduction in size you can get through

I think with a 650mm stair I will still be able to have a 27" door.

There's a place near me called AD Stairs and another called Northern Joinery so I'll give them both a try.

Sponsored Links
if your door is only on one side put the handrail on that side and stop say 150mm short off the door frame
if you can have the door opening into the room with the hinge nearest to the handrail where it will fold out off the way and then you have the width off the door frame the other side as maneuver room

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back