Second flight of stairs question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone advise me. This might be a stupid question so please be gentle.

I want to place a second staircase directly above and parallel to my existing staircase in order to access the loft. This can be accessed via an existing built in cupboard over the stairs, which are centrally located at the front of the house.

I have seen ready made staircases online at generic building supplies outlets.
However, my assumption is that not all staircases are the same.
I am guessing the risers and treads would need to be exactly as per existing staircase in order to achieve the same "pitch?" ?

Is this correct? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on your ceiling height which could be different on each floor.

There are some online stair designers you can put your measurements into to have a play around.

I was going to buy mine online but got a local firm in because I was too concerned about ballsing it up. The price was very similar.

It depends on your ceiling height which could be different on each floor.

There are some online stair designers you can put your measurements into to have a play around.

I was going to buy mine online but got a local firm in because I was too concerned about ballsing it up. The price was very similar.

Thanks Ian that's very helpful. Yes I would be concerned about ballsing it up too.

Sponsored Links
If you're going in to the loft, then you need to work out what the final height of the flooring in the loft is going to be, then you calculate the distance from the floor below, to the final floor height in the loft, and then do your calculations.

Oh yes, sorry. As Doggit says, it's floor to floor height, not floor to ceiling.

I would have 100% ballsed it up :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I did; I forgot to take into account the floorboards when I measured the loft stairs. Managed to fudge round it though.

If the stairs are for a single-room loft conversion, you can apply the rules in BS 5395 'Stairs for Limited Access in Dwellings'.
These allow you to have a pitch of up to 50.7° with a straight flight (treads can be as short as 180mm IIRC).
These save more space than the conventional 'private' stair of 42° max.

Where in the Regs can I get this information?

You won't get this information in the Building Regs - all the Building Regs require is that stairs shall be safe.
The approved document gives acceptable details for stairs, but any official standard can be used as long as the staircase
is safe in the circumstances.
The BS 5395 'Stairs for Limited access...' is specifically aimed at access to cellars, and also single-room loft conversions where there
is insufficient space to fit a standard staircase. You would need to get hold of a copy, or Google it and see what comes up.
Strangely, most building inspectors seem unaware of this Standard.

PS, just noticed you're in NI - regs may be slightly different there.

The loft I am talking about is about 600 sq ft and has 3 rooms currently, does that make a difference?

The loft I am talking about is about 600 sq ft and has 3 rooms currently, does that make a difference?
For a loft that size, you would almost certainly need to use a conventional (42 degree) staircase; the BS 5395 is specifically for limited access, eg to one room only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back