Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about converting my attic into a bedroom, as were really overcrowded. Regs say I need at least 2m3 head height, but I think I've only got around 5ft headroom. Is there any other options for me. Even if I could floor it and convert it into a playroom, would I be able to do this.

Sponsored Links
Minimum 2m (or is it 2.3m?) headroom - is that right?
If so, Scottish regs are different from Eng. regs, which only require 2m headroom over the landing area.
If that's how yours are, you can get round it by just lowering the floor in the landing area (so as to give you the required min. headroom) and then have a step (or two) at the doorway into the bedroom.

Even if I could floor it and convert it into a playroom, would I be able to do this.
If you are going to convert properly (ie thru Building Control) then having 5ft headroom will ensure you do not get back your investment when you come to sell.

Actually headroom for landing area in a loft conversion can be as low as 1.9mts. Although most bco say 2.0mts you can get away with 1.9mt.

Sponsored Links
Even if I could floor it and convert it into a playroom, would I be able to do this.
If you are going to convert properly (ie thru Building Control) then having 5ft headroom will ensure you do not get back your investment when you come to sell.
Plus you will almost certainly lose more height once the floor and ceiling are up to regs.

It's not going to make a practical loft conversion unless you can:
1. Raise the roof by around three feet - will require planning permission.
2. Lower the first floor ceiling by the same amount. Unless you have very high ceilings it's unlikely you could do this and it also throws up its own problems with tying of the roof rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back