Need Advice On Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I own a 2 bedroom 1st floor flat. And im thinking of converting my attic. What I am unsure on is the following.

-If I want to convert my attic in to a bedroom does the attic need access to a fire exit / window??

-Will this require planning permission?? I do not need to replace any joists or anything like that.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
LCP03O said:
Hi guys, I own a 2 bedroom 1st floor flat. And im thinking of converting my attic. What I am unsure on is the following.

-If I want to convert my attic in to a bedroom does the attic need access to a fire exit / window??

-Will this require planning permission?? I do not need to replace any joists or anything like that.

Thanks

Bloody hell, we seem to have a spate of no prior knowledge diy loft converters of late! :rolleyes:

To answer your questions:

1) what would you do if you were sleeping in the attic and a fire broke out on the ground floor, spreading up to the second floor, and you had no means of escape? (clue: You'd probably be alright if you sleep with an axe under your bed, a great big fire axe :eek: )

2) Planning permission may be required.

3) No you don't need new joists if you like cracked and bowed ceilings, are anorexic, all your furniture and bed are made from balsa wood and you have very few possessions.

A bit harsh Deluks! although deservedly so! :D

LCP03O said:
If I want to convert my attic in to a bedroom does the attic need access to a fire exit / window??

Quetsion 1: Yes, without a doubt for building regs part B
Question 2: Possibly, only way to tell is check with local planners, secondly the chances that you're existing ceiling joists were originally designed to be used as a floor is extremely unlikely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back