Attic conversion which already has its own staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I m considering turning my attic into a bedroom. The house is about 300 years old and I am fairly certain the floor joists are sturdy enough to support the type of loading you might expect to get if it was a bedroom. I am certain that it is strong enough because of the amount of crap I have stored up there already. The problem I have is that I am uncertain if I require planning permission. As the room already has its own staircase and at some stage was already a room for sevants in the past! I know that the building is not a listd building. Do I still need to get permision.
Also, I was considering putting windows in the roof. Does this also require planning permission?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
Catzeyes79

You will not have to get permision, because who will know.

But if you sell your house you can't state that the attic is a bedroom, only storage.

And if you are going to the exspence of converting your attic, why don't you go the whole hog and do it by the regs.

Putting a velux window in dose not need planing permision,

You are better off doing it by the regs in the long run, for your safety and it will add value to yopur house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back