Loft conversion - with building regs and permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on doing an ad hoc loft conversion for simple storage and so forth.

Then last night I saw a neighbour's house and changed my mind. She paid around £6K for a professional conversion with joist strengthening, window, staircase, plumbing and electrics, etc. A very slick job.

The thing is that she did it without planning permission and so cannot advertise the house as having 4 bedrooms. If we were going to do this, we'd probably want to do it properly and get permission.

I spoke briefly to someone who also mentioned building regulations, fire escapes and permission to have a window installed if it overlooked someone else's property. It sounded like a mine field.

Is there a simple guide to the permissions needed to make an attic bedroom, along with the costs of any permissions and regulations and the time taken to get them?

Thanks,
Brett.

Sponsored Links
brettjbuckley said:
Is there a simple guide to the permissions needed to make an attic bedroom, along with the costs of any permissions and regulations and the time taken to get them?
Normally you only need building permission but planning permission if you're going to altered the size of the roof.
It sounded like a mine field
It's not as bad as you think it is ! You're right by saying "we'd probably want to do it properly and get permission". It would be useful if you have a drawing done by the architect and they do it all including building regulations and getting the drawing passed. Depending on the area it may take 4 to 6 weeks or maybe quicker.
The building regulations is important as it's a lot to do with safely. eg: If you have a staircase in the lounge area then you must have a fire escape window, this is so if the fire started in the lounge you then can get out of the fire escape window. I'm afraid your neighbour might find their property insurance is invalid.
Then last night I saw a neighbour's house and changed my mind. She paid around £6K for a professional conversion with joist strengthening, window, staircase, plumbing and electrics, etc. A very slick job.
Anyone can strengthening joists but did they use the right size joists according to the building regs ? How was the stress load calculation done ? It's a shame your neighbour spent £6K and won't see that investment back specially when the building control can make them to convert it back to how it was, therefore more money. You're right to do it properly as it cheaper in the long run and a good investment.

As masona says your best bet is to get an architect on board and blimey Charlie £6K that barely covers the materials on most loft conversions Masonas estimate on time is about right I usually tell my customers 6-8 weeks for a single room and bathroom, though the bastard I'm working on now has taken six weeks already and were only about half way through.
doesn't look like I'm going to make anything on this one.

chappers said:
£6K that barely covers the materials on most loft conversions
Agreed and this is why I don't think it was done by professional because they don't work without planning or building permission.

Sponsored Links
You will need planning permission if you're going to add a window, or in fact anything that changes the external appearance (even a Velux window).

You will also need Building regs approval and they will want to know the following:

Floor joists and possible steelwork, thermal insulation, fire escape window (both size and position relative to the eaves), means of access to the room, fireproofing the upper staircase, firedoor to this staircase, all EXISTING habitable rooms to have self closing doors, mains smoke alarms and linkage, etc...........

However all this is only if you intend to use it as a habitable room. If it is just for storage as a posh loft, then the rules do not apply.

If your neighbour is using an 'illegal' loft conversion for a habitable room then their house insurance is almost definately invalid. They will not be able to sell their house very easily as any purchasers solicitor will pick up the fact that the loft conversion has no permissions. Big mistake to do work like this I'm afraid.

Go the legal route, get drawings and full permissions and you'll get back every penny (and more) when you come to sell the house.

Sorry to disagree with part of the last post, but you don't need planning permission, up to a certain size. Think its called permitted development and the amount you are allowed varies with the type of house (70m3 for a detached house). All previous extensions must be included in this figure.

As already stated you will need building regs approval.

Regards and good luck

fletchermills said:
Sorry to disagree with part of the last post, but you don't need planning permission,
Yes & no ! Sometime but don't seem to be in my area, if you have a velux window put in on the front of the property or anything that make it an eyesore or difference appearance, planning permission is sometime needed depending with building control and the area.

its a yes and no for planning permission as masona says, depends on a great deal of many things. Have a look at the loft shops website. they do a booklet that will give you a range of ideas and explain things in very simple terms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back