Converting loft space for office use...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 2 bed terrace house. I am doing a bit more work from home lately so I am considering converting the loft space into something a bit more useable.
I do not want to do a full dormer conversion and will only be looking at a single (maybe two) velux windows.

At the moment my desk is in the main bedroom, and I would look to take 1.2m2 out of the corner of this room for a compact spiral staircase.

This will bring the stairs up to the highest point in the loft, and will allow me to have a landing at the top, and then box in with a door within the loft.

Floor would be strengthened, tanks moved and boarded out. Just looking to make a bit of useable space to move the desk up there. It will not be a bedroom.

My question concerns planning permission and building regs.
From what I have read, it seems that as it will not be a bedroom I would not need to apply for planning permission, but I am unsure as to whether or not I need any other regs/checks to comply with/be certified?

Any extra clarifications would be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
It would certainly not need planning permission but will need building regulations approval.
Regardless of how you use the room, you would be required to apply all the relevant regulations on structure, insulation and means of escape.
As you describe it - for starters - your means of escape would be through an 'inner room' and would not be accptable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Decided to rethink it and I'm going the route of a shed office in the garden! Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back