Removing Spiral Staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at buying a house that currently has a spiral staircase from the first floor into a converted loft space.

However, the converted part of the loft is only half of the loft space, small and not much use except for storage. Coupled with the space the spiral staircase takes out of the master bedroom, I would most likely look to remove it if I buy the house, moving the master bedroom walls back to where they were before the stairs were put in.

I was wondering what things I need to consider around this, such as any building regs, whether I can carry out the work myself, or need to get someone in to do it?

The house was built ~1910, and the staircase was in before the current owner moved in.

Any advice welcome as I'm a bit of a novice round this area!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A lot will depend on the intended use you wish to put the loft space too. If you are going to make it into habitable space like bedrooms or an office etc. then you need to construct a proper stair which complies with the building regulations. Obviously the roof timbers would have to be checked to see if they can carry floor loading, older properties generally have bigger timbers forming the roof and can support a floor, velux windows as a minimum and lots of insulation. Find someone that can do drawings for you as you will need a building warrant if you want to keep it legal, no reason you can't do the work yourself if you are a competant DIYer.

HTH

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back