Smallest spiral staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering a loft conversion and thinking of ways to get stairs in - what is the smallest diameter spiral staircase that is legal?

I have a space that is 1m x 0.8m to rise 3m.

Sponsored Links
Better check with building control.
Here in west London they don't like spiral staircases, although not illegal.

Think it's 600 wide for the stair width so you've no chance in a void 1mx0.8m. You could consider a spacesaver or similar.

Sponsored Links
If it's only a case of emergency exit I guess you could consider a fireman's pole?
Could add a bit of spice if it entered through one of the other bedrooms.

If you are going up 3m, you would need 14 risers, = 13 treads; there is no way you would get any compliant staircase within 1m x 0.8m. Even an alternating tread stair would need to be very steep (and dangerous).

I called BC and an SE - both were happy to give advice over the phone.

You are all correct - its a no go - the only way is to take the stairs from the smallest bedroom into the attic - so it would be sacrificing one small bedroom to make a larger attic bedroom. Overall not really much benefit.

If you are going up 3m, you would need 14 risers, = 13 treads; there is no way you would get any compliant staircase within 1m x 0.8m. Even an alternating tread stair would need to be very steep (and dangerous).
Hey tony, in Part K (extract below) you can get away with a fixed ladder if just the one habitable room, a ships ladder I suppose, do you know what the relevant BS or similar for that might be?

1.32You may use a fixed ladder – with fixed handrails on both sides – only for access in a loft conversion that contains one habitable room, and only when there is not enough space without alteration to the existing space for a stair that satisfies the guidance for dwellings in paragraphs 1.2–1.24.

Hey tony, in Part K (extract below) you can get away with a fixed ladder if just the one habitable room, a ships ladder I suppose, do you know what the relevant BS or similar for that might be?

1.32You may use a fixed ladder – with fixed handrails on both sides – only for access in a loft conversion that contains one habitable room, and only when there is not enough space without alteration to the existing space for a stair that satisfies the guidance for dwellings in paragraphs 1.2–1.24.
BS 5395 Part 4 (stairs for limited access) is worth a read. For a single-room loft conversion (or a single room basement conversion), you can have traditional stairs with treads as shallow as 180mm, as long as the pitch is no more than 50.7°, at least 600 wide and with handrails both sides.
Far safer than the alternating tread stairs.
I can't see why the OP is so constrained by such a small opening into the loft; and to loose one bedroom to gain another is potty. I suspect he may be working to the usual 42 degree pitch without realizing that there are alternatives?

Ok ....... sure but that's still a stair, what about the 'fixed ladder' as stated in Part K? Any idea?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back