Planning permission for a velux conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an architect round to get a quote on doing some loft conversion plans, I was slightly puzzled when he told me I need to apply for planning permission because I want to put a velux window on a roof slope that faces the road (house is on a corner, both slopes are visible from the road). I was under the impression this fell under permitted development, do I need permission?

He also mentioned I needed to have my roof felted, since mine currently has none, the tiles are mounted directly onto the battens. Is there an alternative to pulling all the tiles off to lay felt?

I'm not convinced by his knowledge of loft conversions, he didn't seem to know anything about minimum window heights or stair requirements, and said that the floor joists would run 90 degrees to the ceiling joists, despite the fact that the stairs would cut through half of them :confused: Maybe I'm being too picky but I think I'll look for someone else...

Sponsored Links
Unless you live in a conservation area or other obscure area like area of outstanding natural beauty or your house is listed etc then windows in the front are permitted development, this is a good document http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf page 32 specifically.

Whilst felt or other underlay is always good Building Control will not insist on you doing so in order to meet building regulations. Its very common for loft conversions to be carried out without adding any underlay. Just remember that should a tile ever fall off the inside will be more vulnerable.

The guy sounds like a bit of a pleb, this is real basic knowledge. Look for a different architect or better (cheaper) still employ a technician rather than an architect.

Not in a conservation area and definitely not an area of outstanding beauty :p If the underlay isn't a building regs requirements I'll probably add it after completing the loft, but keep it a high priority. Thanks again for you're advice, I'd be lost without it!

If the underlay isn't a building regs requirements I'll probably add it after completing the loft, but keep it a high priority.
Yea but that's missing the point, You can't add it afterwards without risking a load of damage to your recently completed loft conversion, the only way it can be added is by removing the tiles. Its really only worth doing if you think the tiles are gonna need replacing soon.

Sponsored Links
I've just had an architect round to get a quote on doing some loft conversion plans, I was slightly puzzled when he told me I need to apply for planning permission because I want to put a velux window on a roof slope that faces the road (house is on a corner, both slopes are visible from the road). I was under the impression this fell under permitted development, do I need permission?

He also mentioned I needed to have my roof felted, since mine currently has none, the tiles are mounted directly onto the battens. Is there an alternative to pulling all the tiles off to lay felt?

I'm not convinced by his knowledge of loft conversions, he didn't seem to know anything about minimum window heights or stair requirements, and said that the floor joists would run 90 degrees to the ceiling joists, despite the fact that the stairs would cut through half of them :confused: Maybe I'm being too picky but I think I'll look for someone else...

so that is the front of the house.... now that will require planning but on the back.....

You could drop into your local authority planning department and ask if you need permission. There are basics; has to be a house not a flat and something like total extensions not more than 40% of the original floor area (or the area in 1946) and minimum height for bottom or windows of 1.7m.

If you've already extended elsewhere then you might need permission to go beyond 40%. The people who bought my mother's house were advised by the local authority that permission would not be granted for a loft conversion AFTER a downstairs extension but they COULD do the loft conversion first under permitted development and then permission would be granted for the downstairs. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back