shared purlin in semi detatched loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am converting my loft to a bedroom and want to install a doormer in a 1950's house, but the purlin is shared with my neighbour, thats to say it spans the entire property through both roof spaces. can anyone have any advice on what procedures and permissions i need to do the work. Do i have to inform my neighbour, do i need planning permission, i know the conversion does fall within permitted dev's and i do need building regs, but not sure about this purlin. any ideas or info would be gratefully recieved
thanks

Sponsored Links
I cant help you specifically but I do have experience of something very similar in a house I used to own. It was in a different country so planning rules may be different but in my case:

Building regs were obligatory, and the building control officer required structural drawings to (from a structural engineer, not an architect) before building regs could be applied for. If you have/get these then the structural engineer will be the person to advise on how you get around the purlin issue - but dont be suprised if he calls for steel work to be inserted. If by some miracle you dont need structural drawings (I cant see how not but rules may have changed) then the building control officer may help you - although unlikely.

As for planning then certainly in my case if I wanted to install a velux then planning was not required (providing the velux was on the rear or side of the property). If it was on the front, or I wanted a dormer anywhere then planning permission was needed. I only had a velux on the rear of the house so got away with building regs only, but I say this may be different in Devon.

If in doubt a call to the planning office will clarify.

Good luck

Nick

cheers nick!! have now got an engineer looking at it, may be easier to stick with the velux option and loose some space..
thanks for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back