Attic conversions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I m considering turning my attic into a bedroom. The house is about 300 years old and I am fairly certain the floor joists are sturdy enough to support the type of loading you might expect to get if it was a bedroom. I am certain that it is strong enough because of the amount of rubbish I have stored up there already. The problem I have is that I am uncertain if I require planning permission. As the room already has its own staircase and at some stage was already a room for sevants in the past! I know that the building is not a listd building. Do I still need to get permision.
Also, I was considering putting windows in the roof. Does this also require planning permission?

Sponsored Links
Catzeyes79
best bet to do is ring up your council an get the Building Control officer to see you or send info ...:)

If you have already got a room + stairs goin up there don't worry about it. If you want to put rooflights in, you will not need planning approval - but if your goin for dormers you will.

Two things to consider:
- Make sure the existing floor up there has suitable floor joists + that your not just gonna be using the roof truss. Might require additional timber joists etc.
- Your saying you building isn't listed, I presume you have checked with the local council - if it is your gonna have a whole new set of things to consider + poss a seperate application also.

Catzeyes....if ye finds any mummified cats hidden in the house..leave `em be...They be powerfull Talismans agin the Evil Eye :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back