Old Loft conversion overhaul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am currently starting to refurbish an old house. It has had an attic conversion completed 30 years ish ago. This has been a diy effort with I'm certain no plans/ building control sign off etc. The house is a bungalow.

It was staircase in the middle with a small landing leading to a bedroom on the left and an attic storage room on the right. The bedroom was insulated/plasterboarded with radiator/velux window. The attic room was insulation between the rafters and roughly plyed over. No rad etc just a light.

I have removed the stud walls in the bedroom side and removed all the Insulation. I have replaced the velux as well as having a new one fitted to the landing and one in the storage room ( which I now want to become a bedroom)

My biggest gripe is the floor joists. They are the original ceiling joists with additional joists fitted on top effectively doubling there height. Whilst they have * done the job* for 30 years they are sagged in the middle esp in the storage room side as there was serious weight sitting in one spot for decades!

I will update with pics/ measurements but basically want to know my best way to properly support the weight/ floor without causing problems down the line!

Sponsored Links
iOS Image - 1807866833.jpg

This shows the sagging

Sponsored Links
The original joists are 4x1.5 with an additional 3x1.5 screwed down on top. The joists go from the inner wall to a load bearing wall roughly in the middle where they end and another begins to span the other side. The distance they span is 3metres 60 on one side and 3 metres 60 on the other

Building regulations approval is required for a loft conversion and any structural alterations , with structural engineer's calculations as necessary. I would get a building regs application prepared and approved before you do any building work . Building regs will apply to a lot more things than just the floor joists !

When you say this do you mean having the work done and signed off by building control?

Sorry for the ignorance!

Unless you really know what you are doing and feel confident doing the work under a Building Notice (only intended for smaller works) ,I mean making a Full Plans Submission for Bldg Regs approval. This will involve preparing working drawings with construction notes, but you will know the details are approved before you do any work on site. BCO will still inspect the building work of course. Contact your local council and they will explain the procedure at least and the fees required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back