DIY or get professionals for painting?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to pain the whole house
We've had an extension done - this has meant that just about everything else needs painting or redecorating

White matt everywhere - walls, ceilings and anywhere else apart from maybe doors: I want to paint EVERYTHING white!

Should I get the professional in?
How long would a professional take to complete a 5 bedroom house?

OR... I was thinking o buying a spray gun and painting the whole house myself
+ Getting training from professionals before doing (erm... well I mean... watch a few youtube videos! LOL)

White = no edges to bother about
Spray paint = pain free work (I am hoping - never ever used a spray gun before)

Just want some pros and cons
Looking for inspiration or warning of bad likely outcomes!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fors and against Professionals doing the work.
Professionals should be able to come in and blitz the job so there is less inconvenience to the owner of the property, they should also have the right tools to carry out the works, they should not have the need to study videos on how to carry out the job in hand. so no delay.

DIY, Start the job run out of materials or not got the right tool, leave job until tomorrow,
tomorrow comes the other half wants to go shopping, leave job until tomorrow
tomorrow comes, friends call around, leave job until tomorrow
six months later still making excuses why the job is being left until tomorrow and not finished.

Eh? It's simple: buy white paint and roller/brush, dip it in the paint and start painting. If you can't estimate how long that will take then I suggest hiring someone else to do it

Sponsored Links
A sprayer is a problem, as you'd need to cover - and I mean WRAP - everything. They create fine mist particles that get everywhere - believe me!

Spraying a house with occupancy can't be done. Or can, but won't save any time.

Wood can't take emulsion, so you still need to cut in between wood and plaster. White, well on all walls you will need something heavy duty like diamond trade which is (apparently x10) more durable and can take wipping down / cleaning scuffs and not just wash out.

Estimate- depends on prep requirements, amount of furniture and stuff in rooms.

Guess at 6 weeks labour, £750 of paint, caulk, brushes, floor protector, scratchy and sanding disks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back