DIY plumbing for a combi boiler system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of changing all my radiators and refitting my bathroom by myself, but have also now decided that I also want to change my conventional vented system to a combi boiler version.

As I am already replumbing the water and c/h system, am I permitted to carry out the necessary plumbing up to the connection points at the new combi boiler and leave the remaining work to a Corgi registered engineer?

The quotes that I have been given seem excessive for the plumbing work, and as I am quite competent having plumbed my previous homes, I can not see why there should be problem.

any thoughts will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There should be no problem with regulations per se if you plumb as far as the boiler and leave the gas run, flue and final connections to the CORGI.
BUT any sensible CORGI will NOT warrant 'after the event' that the whole system will work properly afterwards and the manufacturer's warranty will be compromised due to no 'evidence' of flushing, etc.

Much better to capture your CORGI and agree on a boiler, preferably one with a 'jig plate' for you to plumb onto in the absence of the boiler. Then the CORGI can see what you're going to do, agree he's happy with it, check during work if he wants to, check again at the end, complete the flue and gas run, hang the boiler, commission it and be happy to state that AS FAR AS HE IS CONCERNED it's been done according to CORGI regs and manufacturers' instructions.

Any sensible CORGI should be happy to work that way because a lot of time-consuming grunt work goes away. But YOU must NOT expect him to work for nothing.

IMHO there's no reason to not do your own pipework (not gas) as long as you take responsibility for it. Reputable guy will still want it powerflushed and Part L complied with and may also want an indemnity that you will still pay even if your work stops him from being able to commission and issue Benchmark.
(Composing at the same time Croydon)!

OK...thanks for all the input. I shall commence with the plumbing up to the boiler, leaving the final connections, gas supply, flu installation and power flushing to the Corgi. At least this way I would save myself £1200 that I otherwise would have expected to pay for the plumbing.

many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Talk to the CORGI first!

To be correct he will have to fit the boiler hanging bracket, as well as the flue and gas supply.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back