DIY Raking M Class Extraction Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need / should I hire an M Class dust extractor as a DIYer working on raking out a large wall?

Generally I was thinking of buying a low powered vac like: Mac Allister MWDV-16 L-A Corded Wet & dry vacuum, 16.00L just to prevent neighbours getting upset.

And also a FFP3 face mask for myself.

Sponsored Links
Trades are legally obliged to use M-class. As a DIYer you are not obliged to use M-class, but it makes sense to use either an M-class vacuum or use a vacuum with the very similar HEPA filter. Lower spec (filter) vacuums have a tendency to sick up the dust, suck it straight through the filters, then blow it straight out the exhaust at the back of the vac. I did a test of this about 20 years back with a 1200 watt Goblin wet and dry shop vac on plaster dust (I was sanding plaster) and found that using the vac was actually worse than not using it!

In terms of masks, FFP3 actually means "face fitted P3". P3 is the correct grade of filter for fine dusts, however, unless you are propely face fitted (see * below) for the exact mask you will always wear it cannot be considered to be face fitted. If it isn't face fitted dust, etc can get in round the edges. I know that some people get these done at work (I did, every 2 years) but AFAIK the only mask on the market which has a self-test facility to prove face fitting is the JSP Force 8 mask.

* A face fit test is a physical test conducted using a special test hood apparatus and use marker scents (sweet and sour) to confirm a good seal of a mask. It is conducted "blind" by a sevond person. A mask on the shelf of a shop cannot therefore be described as FFP3 as the "FF" part takes a physical test to determine. Because of the differences in peoples heads a mask which works well for one person may be a poor fit for someone else and vice versa - hence the need for testing in industry

Last edited by a moderator:
Coincidentally I was looking at the JSP Force 8 mask.

Lower spec (filter) vacuums have a tendency to sick up the dust, suck it straight through the filters, then blow it straight out the exhaust at the back of the vac. I did a test of this about 20 years back with a 1200 watt Goblin wet and dry shop vac on plaster dust (I was sanding plaster) and found that using the vac was actually worse than not using it!

Understood thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Coincidentally I was looking at the JSP Force 8 mask.
Brilliant mask - even seals properly if you have a couple of days of stubble. Reasonably comfortable for extended use, too. BTW I have no connection with JSP other than having used a Force 8 for about 5 or 6 years now - I'd never go back to wearing a paper mask ever again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back