DIY Reroof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a newby and joined after a fruitless search for information regarding re-slating an end terrance house. I have found a few sites which tell you the basics - removing tiles, battons and applying membrane, new battons and slates, along with overlap guides for pitch of roof etc, but the real question I wanted answering, was how you tie in new slates to the neighbours existing roof. Now I am assuming that after removal of the old tiles and battons you are left with a cutoff point of overlapping tiles above the party wall but I can't see how the new tiles can be securly fastened at both sides when they have to be slid into this overlap, effectivly covering up one of the nail holes. Now I may have got completly the wrong idea but any help would be appretiated.

Sponsored Links
You can install an extra batten immediately below each normal batten, this will allow you to get an extra fixing point as well as the one that remains exposed, aim for about 50mm in and 50mm down from the head, it will be the same side but will give a solid enough fix, this will only be required on every other course. The only way to twice nail in the normal way would be to strip your neighbours roof back in a rake, and I guess that wouldn't be practical.

Don't be tempted to put a nail more than 30mm in from the side at the normal fixing level, you can get away with coming a bit further in nearer the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back