DIY rewire under building notice..

TJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now got a nice new isolator fitted, and the main fuse uprated to 80A mo from 60amp - all FOC from EON / Southern Electric.

I am going to be rewiring the house myself, under supervision of the LBA. First question I have is how do I retain the old system while installing the new? I ask this because the LBA want to inspect on first fix, and then on second with everything connected up. We will be living in the property so obviously require lighting and sockets etc. To get to the first fix stage, I have to remove the majority of the old wiring, and hence will not have working lights / sockets etc until after the first fix new wiring is approved OK.

I can install some temporary sockets / extensions etc - however strictly speaking shouldn't these need to be inspected / approved?

Ideally I would just replace a circuit at a time, but because of the inspections it all seems to have to be done at once?

Sponsored Links
Think a building notice ios allowed to be 'open' for upto 3 years, however as this would mess up the isnpections thing, your LABC is likely to resist this most vehemontly.

There are a few ways to make sure you always have power, best way is probably to install new board, tails and main bonds, and then to re-feed the old board off a breaker in the new one, and then concentrate on one circuit at a time, for example, one disconnect the old upsatirs lighting circuit... install the new one, and connect into new board, and hopefully by saturday evening the lighst will be back on... work from top of the house downwards

Before of borroed neutrals doing it this way though!, if LABC want to see first fix then do it all, get them to inspect and then gobbo up the chases (you might not even have to chase the light switches btw... you might be able to pull new cables into existing chases)

Now there lies the problem.

I assume that for the money you pay the labc it would include unlimited visits, so technically you could first fix a circuit, get them out, second fix and get them out and move on to the next circuit. You can split the tails and run a temporary supply in parallel with the existing supply but that would need to be tested and inspected also. Would labc come to inspect a temporay supply? another wiser than me may know.

A temporary supply can involve many trailing cables, so be aware and sensible.

I bet you that paying a sparky to do all this will more than make up for all the hastle. Imagine getting first fix done and labc dont turn up and you are left longer than you planned without power where you want/need it.

Bit different for me, cos I'm doing a complete gut renovation and didn't need to live in the house. I stripped the old installation back to a single double socket close to the old CU for running power tools etc, plus the old lighting. Then did my first fix including new lighting cabling which I could do with the old lighting still in place because all my switch and fitting positions are different. Had my first fix inspection a week or two ago, now when me walls are all plastered I'll do second fix, install the new CU and migrate over to the new circuits (isolator already installed), and test. Then ditch the old CU and pull out the old lighting for good. Job's a goodun.

Probably dont help you much :)

Liam

Sponsored Links
I've now got a nice new isolator fitted, and the main fuse uprated to 80A mo from 60amp - all FOC from EON / Southern Electric.

I am going to be rewiring the house myself, under supervision of the LBA. First question I have is how do I retain the old system while installing the new?
You can't really retain old system if you are going to install new where you have ripped out the old.
I ask this because the LBA want to inspect on first fix, and then on second with everything connected up. We will be living in the property so obviously require lighting and sockets etc. To get to the first fix stage, I have to remove the majority of the old wiring, and hence will not have working lights / sockets etc until after the first fix new wiring is approved OK.

I can install some temporary sockets / extensions etc - however strictly speaking shouldn't these need to be inspected / approved?
As far as I can see the temps do not need inspecting by the building inspector with the exception of maybe the point where you actual connect to incoming mains
Ideally I would just replace a circuit at a time, but because of the inspections it all seems to have to be done at once?
I would normally first install the temps
Then change consumer unit and temp install some sockets to power the temps.
Then do all work other than final connection into consumer unit.
Last job connect into consumer unit and at same time test and fill in schedule of test results.
On a rewire there is no first and second fix as such as we do not leave site and let plasters in but do the plastering our selves. And I can't really see how one can get on the the job any other way as one would normally do a full room where ever possible rather than starting all rooms together. But the building inspector should tell you what he wants to see first and second fix is not really a good description on a re-wire.
The change between you and me is I am doing my own testing so in half a day I can change from temp to new wiring and commission. But in your case you can change from temp to new wiring but you don't commission so can't switch on. I would think you would arrange with the building inspector when the switch on will be and should he not arrive you will have to consider if you are going to switch on or not. One would hope he would arrive on time, your problem is more likely to be not being ready. Things do often take longer than planned.
Please say how you get on. As we will never be in your position and it would be interesting to see how the other half live.

TJR, I live in stourbridge, am out of work at the moment, and would be happy to come and install and test your temps for you.. £10/hour.. ;)

you sod off... you've got work... <-- word asterixed out is "piece of turf".. :rolleyes:

btw, I am available for imediate start should you have any vacancies / need a hand 17thman... ;)

Think a building notice is allowed to be 'open' for upto 3 years
For the record; you have 3 years to commence work after submitting a Building Notice. Once you've started work, the notice remains "open" until you ask for it to be completed so there is no expiry time limit as such. ;)

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I have not as yet started the rewire yet- just some investigation work lifting floorboards etc and working out where the existing runs lie. Also I am on the verge of submitting the building notice - not quite submitted yet -I've filled in the form and written the cheque an am going to post it in the next couple of days...... after which I should hopefully find out mre about what is required of the inspections! Initial enquires said that there would be two one at first, and then at second fix. I agree though for a rewire, there is not really a first and second fix as such!

I'll try to keep you informed how it goes once I have spoken to someone from building control about the inspections (I think they sub-contract an electrical firm to oversee the install)..

Once I start my current plan is to initially is shorten the existing ring back to a couple of sockets, near to the CU (in the garage) and use these for the temp supplies while I rewire the rest. I can then rewire these sockets last - and hopefully get the inspector out quickly once done! The kitchen is being ripped out so I don;t have to worry about having a tempory cooker supply etc. I haven't decided about the lighting curcuits yet, but to be honest most switches are being moved (dorrs fitted other way around) so I can do the majority of the rewire while leaving the old system in as long as poss.

Cheers.

When I did the wiring in my two extensions the Building Control Officer checked the first fixes, then they got an electrician in at the end to do all the testing.

If yours are the same they might be willing to check the first fix in sections as you do the work, then do all the testing in one go once you have finished. As I guess it is the work they have to contract out that they will be most iffy about duplicating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back