'DIY SOS' - 240V to 220V

On the totaljobs.com web site it describes an electrical engineer as below. I think you will find that is the job description most consider to be an electrical engineer.

Job description: Electrical/Electronic engineer

As an electronic or electrical engineer, you'll be involved with designing and developing electrical systems and components.

As an electrical or electronics engineer, you'll design, build and maintain electrical control systems, machinery and equipment. You could work in a very wide range of sectors, including transport networks; power generation, transmission and distribution; renewable energy sources; manufacturing and construction plant and machinery; building services; telecommunications and data communications, medial instruments or scientific and military research.

I could not get electrical engineer in on line Oxford Dictionary but engineer was listed as:-

1 a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures
a person qualified in a branch of engineering, especially as a professional:an aeronautical engineer
2 a person who controls an engine, especially on an aircraft or ship
North American a train driver
3 a skilful contriver or originator of something:the prime engineer of the approach

verb
[with object]

1 design and build (a machine or structure):the men who engineered the tunnel
modify (an organism) by manipulating its genetic material: (as adjective, with submodifier engineered) genetically engineered plants
2 skilfully arrange for (something) to occur:she engineered another meeting with him

Origin:

Middle English (denoting a designer and constructor of fortifications and weapons; formerly also as ingineer): in early use from Old French engigneor, from medieval Latin ingeniator, from ingeniare 'contrive, devise', from Latin ingenium (see engine); in later use from French ingénieur or Italian ingegnere, also based on Latin ingenium, with the ending influenced by -eer

Seems there must be two Oxford Dictionaries? Note how often the word "Design" is used! The only odd one is "North American a train driver" and the Americans don't know how to use English anyway. I had better get ready for flack I suppose but "Fend" instead of "guard" and many more hood v bonnet etc. Can't really look at how they speak.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back