diy spray job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi in the summer i want to spray my suzuki sj probably urban camoflague but never done it before got any tips

Sponsored Links
yeah get someone to do it who knows what there doing youll just make a mess and will cost you more in the long run to save money do the prep your self and get someone to paint it it is an art to get this sort of thing right. ;)

If it`s an old banger then do it..and you can buy an old spraygun off me ;) .£10.00+ post and packaging.........if it`s a half decent car, listen to wouldbe plumber.............I`m a plumber,wouldbe sprayer :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If its a decent motor then get someone to do it for you!

Otherwise, preparation is key!

The more work you put in before you even pick up a spray gun the better the finish will be.

You will need to give the existing paintwork a quick sand with wet and dry paper to give the new paint a key.

Secondly, when you start spraying, if you have a garage, clean it out, thoroughly, you want to remove as much dust as possible, then get it warm inside. Get the car in then get it cleaned with cellulose thinners, to remove any dirt or grease on the paintwork.

Mask everything up you dont want sprayed.

If your spraying it yourself and your not put off by all the work you'd be doing then hire a compressor and spray gun, dont attempt it with cans!

I cant give you advice on spraying other than use even strokes, dont stop in one place for too long, and additional coats is better than trying to put more paint on too quickly. Oh! and get some practice in first!

The more coats you put on the deeper the paintwork will look, ie a better shine!

Once your finished spraying you'll end up with a orange peel finish which will need wet sanding to flatten off the paint, not too hard though!

You'll end up with a matt finish which will then need to be covered in laquer to give a shiny finish.

Seriously though get some one who knows what there doing to do it!

I did a Fiesta about 6 years ago and it took me 5 weekends to do it to my satisfaction. 1st weekend to remove bits like bumpers, decals, etc 2nd weekend to prepare (sand and mask up), another to clean and spray the main paint - 4 coats and the last two to sand, clean and laquer the car. Thats plus another odd evening to put the decals and bumpers back on.

mike

Forgot to say get a decent mask otherwise you'll end up breathing in the paint dust from the sanding and the paint fumes, which might sound great, but you will end up with the worst headache ever if you dont wear a mask. Plus you can pass out if in a confined space with no ventilation!

mike

Id certainly suggest having a go yourself. Ive sprayed numerous cars & motorbikes myself and if you take your time you can get a very good job yourself. If its small areas you can just use aresols, if its something bigger then you can get a compressor, air gun, sander all for abotu 200quid. If you add onto that the paint etc... you can respray your whole car for 300->400quid easily. Most places will charge you well over double that, so your saving money already!

Back