Do electric showers contain pumps and what exactly is a 'power shower'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Girlfriends dad is going to be redoing our bathroom for us. We have a Triton T70 GSI (https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1427991224.pdf) with a cold only feed. He insists this shower has a pump built in and that all electric showers do, I'm not sure if it does or not as I thought they only contained heating elements unless you get a hybrid type. Looking at the manual and wiring diagram, there's no pump, just a stabilizing valve.

We want to have a bar mixer thermostatic shower and install a twin 3.0 bar pump (gravity fed system).

He says that this is called a 'Power Shower', however looking online, power showers look like electric showers (plastic enclosure - https://www.screwfix.com/c/showers/cat820272?showerproducttype=power) but only contain a pump and need hot and cold feed.

1. Do all electric showers contain a pump?
2. Is having a seperate pump / bar mixer shower (with a big head) also known as a power shower?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. Do all electric showers contain a pump?
No, some do, but the vast majority don't. Your Triton doesn't.

2. Is having a seperate pump / bar mixer shower (with a big head) also known as a power shower?
Not really. It could be considered powerful but no specific name for it.

He is wrong on both counts, your shower uses mains pressure so no pump required,

They used to call any shower that was pumped a power shower. The integrated single pumped on the wall units (looks like a leccy one) then adopted it as their moniker and now when you say a power shower, that's the type it describes

A remote pumped gravity fed shower is just that, a gravity fed pumped shower.

Your right, leccy showers only have a small tank with elements in it.

Sponsored Links
He is wrong on both counts, your shower uses mains pressure so no pump required,
Our shower is gravity fed from tank in loft. The manual for the shower says it needs to be mains connected but it's not. The flow from the head isn't too bad.

Wrong, it's connected to the mains.

Last edited:
Our shower is gravity fed from tank in loft. The manual for the shower says it needs to be mains connected but it's not. The flow from the head isn't too bad.
Turn your mains cold water stopcock off ,and see if your electric shower still works...I doubt it will !

Turn your mains cold water stopcock off ,and see if your electric shower still works...I doubt it will !
Well I'll be damned... You're right, it's been tee'd off from the 15mm pipe that feeds the header tank for the central heating. Couldn't see the join at first. That explains the good enough pressure from the shower.

Hopefully there's enough positive pressure for the pump at the shower head (when using 22mm from the tank).

Last edited:
What is the height from tank to shower?
38cm from bottom of tank to the ceiling height. Currently shower head is 20cm from the ceiling but that's because we have a bath currently. Suspect it would be 40cm from the ceiling height eventually, so 78cm total from tank bottom. Is this enough?

Not for an unpumped shower.

With 22mm pipes, is OK for bathraps.

We're going to be fitting a pump, a 3.0bar Stuart Turner Monsoon. https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/docume...hower-pumps-installation-user-guide-46415.pdf

As long as we get 1l/min then we're good. At the bathroom tap we get 6.5l/min, so hoping this would be fine. Also 227l tank which I believe is recommended for this pump.

Probably just for the shower though, as the taps are fine.
For a shower using that pump you need a supply of stored hot water (HW cylinder). No mention of that so far, do you have it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back