Do frozen boiler-pipes pose a risk?

I'd hope with yours the PRV would operate before any real damage was done, but allowing the boiler to potentially freeze is not going to do you or it any favours.

No, it wouldn't. I remember, when I was a small boy, new tenants on the estate that we lived on was advised, on moving in during a very hard winter, to get a good fire going and get the new house warm. They did just that, and the boiler (behind the fireplace) blew up, blasting the entire fireplace and bricks, etc. at them. A child was killed by it. That's what was behind my concern. I shall put antifreeze inhibitor in the system, just to be sure.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
That boiler was probably taken out of service and capped off. As the heat expanded the contents it probably exceeded what it could hold.

I have assumed, as taught in college that it was the Ice thawing that caused the expansion??

Found this on-line 9% in a small diameter long length of pipe work is pretty big??

When liquid water is cooled, it contracts like one would expect until a temperature of approximately 4 degrees Celsius is reached. After that, it expands slightly until it reaches the freezing point, and then when it freezes it expands by approximately 9%.

As for the condensate drain mounted externally freezing? I have seen several kitchens wrecked by a frozen condensate drain when it fills and then bursts cascading dirty water all over the place.

Such are the joys of working up here in at times very low temperatures

Ken.
Kitchens wrecked by a frozen condensate????bursts and cascades dirty water all over the place?..Your adjectives seem a bit OTT.

Sponsored Links
Kitchens wrecked by a frozen condensate????bursts and cascades dirty water all over the place?..Your adjectives seem a bit OTT.

The result was that the insurers I was working for ended up paying out [as I recall] about £ 5,000 + for repairs??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back