Do I get it painted, do it myself or leave it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm selling my son's car, which is in pretty good condition apart from some dodgy paintwork on the roof. Looks like someone has done a pretty poor DIY paint job at some point in the vehicle's life and the finish hasn't coped too well with the vagaries of the British weather.

Thing is, the car is only worth around 1400 quid--its a 2003 Focus with below average miles--and it would cost about 150 quid to get the work done by a garage. I could have a go myself but I don't have a covered area to do the job and the January weather isn't ideal for outdoor DIY paint spraying.

So my dilemma is this: do I spend 150 quid on a £1400 car and get the job done properly in order to sell it, or should I just have a go myself and hope for the best? Or should I leave the job altogether and hope any potential buyers can see that other than the dodgy paintwork on the roof, its a good car?

Basically, the finish on the roof is flat, and rough, so it needs a good rubbing down, priming and at least two top coats. If it was summer and dry I wouldn't hesitate to blow it over myself by hand...but its cool, and worst of all, damp.

Sponsored Links
go to a signage company and get a vinyl roof wrap of say a union jack whatever,job done. ;)

If the £150 quote is firm, then I would have it done, prospective buyers can't then try to knock your price down due to poor paint work on the roof. speculate to accumulate!

Wotan

Brilliant idea.
Maybe an Argentine Flag to keep things up to date?

Sponsored Links
If the £150 quote is firm, then I would have it done, prospective buyers can't then try to knock your price down due to poor paint work on the roof. speculate to accumulate!

Wotan

I'm tending towards that opinion too, because if I get the roof painted then I doubt whether anyone could find any other major fault with the car. OK its got a few dings and scratches, but not many cars of that age or mileage haven't.
According to the manual its due a cambelt change, but the next owner can take that particular hit.

Unless it's a solid colour, any repair you attempt yourself will look crap.

Get it done properly if you've a pearlescent or metallic.

Unless it's a solid colour, any repair you attempt yourself will look crap.

Get it done properly if you've a pearlescent or metallic.

It's metallic, and the answers to my OP have made my mind up for me. I'll get it done at the garage; its one I've used before and always been pleased with the results.
Cheers.

Or you could advertise it at 1250 and see the response. No good throwing good money after bad, but that's just me, careful!

if the rest of the car will polish up nicely id paint it and add it on to the selling price. There are very few lowish mileage tidy cars around the £1000-£1500 mark as i found out last year!

I attacked it with colour restorer yesterday and the result is that if you don't look at the roof the car gleams like a pin. Yes, there are little scrapes and scratches, but at that kind of price I don't think they'll affect the overall value too much. However, the roof does amount to an open goal for any potential buyer, so get it done I will.

Thanks again for all your input.

Well, I got it painted by a professional, and now it looks absolutely spot on.
Its on Autotrader if anyone is interested. :0)

Sponsored Links
Back