What can I do myself? Complete Home Renovation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to complete on a house which is in need of some serious modernisation!

What I am trying to find out is... What jobs can I do myself? And what jobs do I need to have people in to do?

I am a pretty competant DIYer and have build a few brick buildings in the past... My brother is a plummer, and he has tought me... And I know the basics of electrics... If I wanted to I am happy that I could do everything needed, including building a small extension

However...

We are hoping to renovate, live in it for a year or so, and then sell on. What needs proper documentation? to sell the house and to get through building regs?!?

any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

andymet87

Sponsored Links
Window replacements, electrics, gas, any structural work.
will all need certificates/building control approval.
You could do the windows, structural work and the electrics(re-wire, new CU, new circuits, work in bathroom, kitchen, out houses, garden etc) but an application will need to go into building controls.
Extending and additions to electrical circuits does not need to be notified providing it does not come under special locations. But should have a minor works certificate.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

so I could in fact do everything bar gas so long as building regulations application goes in for everything?

I can't think why not.
An application needs to go in to building controls prior to you starting work and they will inspect along the way.
I would group all the things you wish to do that is notifiable work on one application, this means you will only pay one fee.
The fee will be valued pro-rata to the cost that the work being undertaken would cost to do by a pro tradesman.
There are downloadable forms on the direct.gov website.
The electrics will be inspected at first fix and second fix, some building controls do inspect and test the installation for you, but some don't and expect a third party to do that, so ask the question.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the response! I will be phoning the building regs people tomorrow!

Another question is how hard is it to put an RSJ into a supporting wall? or is that something I should definately be having a builder to do?

It's not difficult, but like anything else you need to know what you are doing.
You'll need some arco(props) to support the load above, while you are doing the work, these can be hired. Also calcs will be needed on RSJ size to make sure it is suitable for purpose. The RSJ should over hang each supporting wall either side of the opening by at least 150mm, so that means the RSJ must be at least 300mm longer than the opening in the wall.

so I could in fact do everything bar gas so long as building regulations application goes in for everything?

Yes. And if you word your application right one application and fee will cover you for all the work you need to do and give you several years in which to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back