Advice on planning / building a double detached garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was hoping that I could find some advice in regards to building a double garage.
I don't have much building experience although I am looking to do as much work Myself in order to keep the build costs to a minimum.

Project;
I am looking at building a double (maybe a touch wider than double) garage at the rear of my property, i.e behind the house at the end of the garden.
Currently there is a single (rotting & damp) wooden garage / workshop.

I will need to put in concrete foundations and floor, I am not currently planning on doing this myself as I kind of figure that if you don't get this bit bang on then the rest of the build will be troublesome.

I will also be getting someone in to lay the block work also for the very same reason.

Questions / Advice needed.
1/ If I had some plans made up by a proffesional would this identify / detail everything I need to ensure that building regs are met?
2/ Rough idea of cost for having concrete foundations and floor laid? I will level and dig out so hopefully it is a case of pouring in the concrete.
3/ I am not 100% sure whether I need planning permission. The garage will be more than 5m from the rear of house. It will be on the boundary of both sides and rear of garden. At the rear is an access road that is used by Myself and 6 neighbours, any ideas?
4/ As I am looking to build as cheaply as possible should I only consider a flat (slight angle) roof, or could I consider a proper pitched roof. I am planning on doing all the roof work Myself.
5/ If i need to apply a more conventional pitched roof what should I consider for tiling bearing in mind cost.

I am hoping (hopefully not dreaming) to bring in the complete job under 4K. Double glazed windows will be ebay jobs (they do not need to match as you will only see onside at a time). Also breeze blocks and trusses etc will be sourced as cheap. Do you think I am being realistic with this current budget?

Hope someone can help with some pointers or things that I perhaps have not considered.

Many Thanks
Steve

P.S If anyone is after buying a trailer I will be selling mine in approx 4-6wks. It is approx 4-6ft with idespension, good tyres & marine ply sides.
I have used it for 3 years now to tow my Race Mower and tools etc, it tows really well. Getting a box trailer as I need something bigger. Looking at around the £250 mark.

Sponsored Links
1) Depends on how professional the professional doing the plans is. You won't 'need' proper plans unless deemed by the council that you require a planning application. Otherwise a 'good sketch' will suffice. In any case don't rely on any plans telling you what materials to use and construction techniques. There is a fair bit that you will be required to know yourself. Not beyond the abilities of a competent DIY'er though.

2) Don't know/how long is a piece of string/what's the soil like/get quotes/how much is ballast down your way/(I can't be arsed to work it out)

3)Probably won't need planning provided you stay within the correct dimensions (30sqm I believe), keep it under certain height for the roof and provided the access road isn't classed as a public highway. Only way to be sure is to enquire with the planning dept <do that.

4)Pitched will be far superior from a practical and aestetic point of view. You will extra storage space and will be less likely to leak. Not rocket science bolting a few timbers together to make a triangle but it's the bracing and supports that require knowledge and skill. Might be cheaper getting trusses specced.

5) Will cost a little bit more pitched but if you were to use a decent felt or shingles then that may keep costs down. Lots of second hand tiles on fleabay.

Thanks Deluks for the advice.
What are shingles?

Do you think having a concrete pad put in by a builder is the best way forward? I imagine if I don't get it bang on then there will be problems there after with the block work etc etc etc..

Have you had any experience of those plastic formed slates, they look cheap, is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Cheers
Steve

I don't think the area is an issue for planning as i spoke to them )portsmouth) yesterday about the same thing.
I am planning a 7m by 5m garage on my boundary.
The main issue was the height. As it is on the boundary, the max height before planning permision is required is 2.5m.
I have yet to draw mine up.

Sponsored Links
If planning not necessary you can worry about the roof covering when the wall is up.

Shingles are bitumen tiles, popular on houses on certain parts of the world (USA/Canada) Shakin' Stevens sang about them :cool:

http://www.katepaluk.co.uk/

You can also get metal sheets that have an embossed tile effect. Doesn't look too bad.

As for competency, only you can answer that one. If the founds are slightly out it can still be corrected when you lay the blocks.

cheers for the advice deluks & huw. Time to start costing properly I guess. :D

A shingle is any overlapping roof covering such as slate tiles over here..
as said you can get shingles sheets..
bitumen / felt strips with several tiles cut into the bottom edge to simulate the tiled / shingled look..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back