Garage Self Build

Sponsored Links
You'll be in for Christmas matey :)

Making good progress by the looks of it. It always amazes me how strong those hiabs cranes can reach, and how the drivers can drop their gear on a sixpence!

They are impressive beasts although working in servo hydraulics their control seems very crude compared to what i'm used to! (link here if you're curious what i'm upto when i'm not laying blocks!
)

From my experience hydraulics always win when something gets in the way.

Last edited:
And here we are another 2 weeks later
20201206_180155.jpg

20201206_180558.jpg

20201217_113914.jpg

20201217_114438.jpg

Excuse the mess, really cannot wait to get the roof on working in the dark in december is no fun!

Sponsored Links
Good question.

I cant think why youd be worried about having to get building regs approval unless you were going to build something unsound.

Registered electrician, or BR required?

Not entirely relevant to this thread but as you ask neither. I find the 3rd party approval scheme much cheaper than BC. I used the scheme when I rewired the upstairs ring main and installed a brand new ring main for downstairs

Also I wasn't 'worried' I was just asking what steps were involved having never undertaken anything like this before.

Nice build. Can I ask what's stopping your roof spreading? Is there a hidden ridge beam or have you just not fitted the ceiling joists yet?

Nice build. Can I ask what's stopping your roof spreading? Is there a hidden ridge beam or have you just not fitted the ceiling joists yet?

The wall plate straps and the 150mm concrete screws holding the wall plate in place. Also just under the ridge at alternative rafters there is a brace that is bolted in position with dogtooth washers and m12 bolts. Also the ridge beam rests on the internal walls at both ends.

But there will be no ceiling joists I quite like the lofty vaulted ceilings...

My partners uncle helped me construct the roof hes now a site manager but his trade is a chippy he also asked his truss supplier to do some quick calculations for sizing the timbers. (for reference the rafters are 150x50 and the ridge is 200x50 both C24) (TR26 was took expensive and the calculations revealed unnecessary).

I just hope its right as the tiles are 2 tonnes+

Happy New year!

Due to covid we couldn't go anywhere or see anyone so I used the time to get some tiles on the roof (Nearly all 450 of them!)

20201219_152557.jpg

really tested my fear of heights doing this!

20201227_160514.jpg

20201230_140221.jpg

20201230_140615.jpg

20201230_141512.jpg

Top tip - Remove the protective tape before you nail on the facia

20210102_111122.jpg

undercloaking fitted and battens and felt trimmed, just need to cut tiles now then mortar them in place along with ridge tiles

Top work mate.

Next job - rear extension for the house to match your neighbours (y)

Hi Kingandy2nd, that was always the plan the garage being the 'practice' although my misses isn't keen on more DIY and mess but i'm sure she'll come around. Being a 1930's house the kitchen is tiny I plan to build out about 4.5m (so 1.5m more than the neighbours) as per the drawings earlier in this thread.

Also i realised I've not updated costing in a while which currently stand at approx £6600, once completed I will share the complete breakdown for materials and tool hire

But there will be no ceiling joists I quite like the lofty vaulted ceilings...

Personally, and I don't know what others think, but I would install some joists across the garage fixed to the bottom of the rafters to prevent potential roof spread, which looks to me like a risk. That's a shallow pitch roof and the outward forces are therefore going to be considerable when the roof is loaded. I don't think those short collars bolted high up are going to help much. I'm not a SE, but have a technical background, and it doesn't look right as is to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back