Garage Self Build

That's like saying you can walk into a garage and buy a nice new shiny car...

Or you can walk around several scrap dealers get the parts together take them back with you and build the car yourself.

£3000 isn't a realistic price for a job that's been described whether he's building it by himself of not.

What would you say would be an accurate material cost with rough breakdown?

eg, Slab / foundations
Walls including mortar
Lintels
Doors (patio door and garage door)
Roofing Trusses
Roofing material (tiles or something like this https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...HhXgai--SFK8LiRRaMz6wkmHTYucRRKIaAkMwEALw_wcB)
Any other materials required to get to a watertight state

Sponsored Links
As a (very) rough guide going on what you've described.. with new doors, block, timber, cladding, concrete skips etc id give yourself (at least) 6 to 7 thousand

Cheers Mobo, my original total budget was £7k so that's about right especially with hopeful savings on second hand stuff. The interior fit out will most definitely be whatever I can find for cheap second hand.

The external cladding will again be what I can find for cheap that gives the look i'm after.

If you want to save money, avoid building regs, not that you would want to take shortcuts, but it would save on hassle.

Being closer than 1 metre to boundary, you would need to ensure non combustible material externally.

Nb cost of foundation depends on ground condition.......
Dont forget soakaway.

Sponsored Links
If you want to save money, avoid building regs, not that you would want to take shortcuts, but it would save on hassle.
Better to build what you want (assuming you can get planning permission ) than cut back just to avoid bldg. regs. Obtaining Building regs approval isn't that much hassle in the scheme of things on a building project and the fees compared with the build costs shouldn't put you off.
ps as far as Planning goes , considering that flat roofed thing that has been built not far away you should be able to get away with anything :!:

Thought I'd post an update. All steaming ahead to get slab poured Saturday. Breaking up the old concrete garage certainly gave the SDS a workout. Decided to reduce the size to avoid BC
20200808_194954.jpg

Just thought I'd post an update
IMG-20200814-WA0021.jpg

20200815_082632.jpg

IMG-20200815-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20200815-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200815-WA0003.jpg

For those wondering so far including mini digger and driver, muck away, tool hire, all materials and running electrics down to the site for the build and the eventual building the spend so far is just over £2000 to get it to how it looks now.

Was an experience using the power float, managed a reasonably smooth surface but a few peaks and dips to the level... not 100% happy so might put down some self leveler before the resin floor paint once the building is watertight

I didn't get a photo but there is approx 2.5 tonnes of soft sand on that rubble before the DPM was fitted.

Last edited:
I was going to ask how you got on with the power float? I ended up just using hand float (big blue) for mine - was very tough going but is pretty smooth.

I also used about 3 times as many plastic spacers as you, and they still gave up once the concrete was barrowed onto them :eek:

ps- good work!!

I was going to ask how you got on with the power float? I ended up just using hand float (big blue) for mine - was very tough going but is pretty smooth.

I also used about 3 times as many plastic spacers as you, and they still gave up once the concrete was barrowed onto them :eek:

ps- good work!!

That might be where you went wrong as you're able to stand in between the spacers and the mesh just bends then springs back.

I'm certainly glad i can get the lorry right to the site as with it being 4.5m3 for the slab... meaning approx 11 tonnes+ when wet!

The garage is kind of a prequel to a possible kitchen extension and for that I cannot get the lorry to site so i'd seriously consider a pumping truck.

Looks like my garage is nothing compared to what you've attempted!

Progress update, walls are going up slowly. Did consider paying someone to throw the blockwork up but I had quotes for between £2-4k for labour only for approx 1000 blocks

Planning permission is really dragging its heels with an original deadline of the 22nd of October we have settled on the 5th of November the planning office of course blamed covid

Current spend including french door and a window and all 3 catnic lintels is just over £4500

Not fully priced out roof yet but looking to be circa £1500 including tiles

Electric roller is about £700

Then around £1000 on the internal fit out, electrics and boarding out means I should come in just over budget of around £7,700

Its also going to be rendered now but with 'free' friends and family labour

Attachments

• 20201021_094802.jpg
    20201021_094802.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
The build has progressed

20201127_133251.jpg

one flat pack roof with no instructions

20201129_084742.jpg

Roof after day one

20201129_111332.jpg

Day 2 we have a roof structure :)

20201202_130019.jpg

Slow going gables, Looking less forward to the other one as access for the tower is blocked by materials

You'll be in for Christmas matey :)

Making good progress by the looks of it. It always amazes me how strong those hiabs cranes can reach, and how the drivers can drop their gear on a sixpence!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back