Do I insulate around hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finished insulating between my new timber floor joists but am wondering what I need to do around the hearth, should I insulate right up to it or will it be too hot for the insulation?
The hearth will be concrete filled within brick walls, topped with a slate slab which will have a wood burning stove on it.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
So long as the stove has reasonable clearance from the hearth (100mm or more) you'll find that the hearth remains quite cool......I'd pack the area with rockwool or similar, rather than a foamed material.
John :)

So long as the stove has reasonable clearance from the hearth (100mm or more) you'll find that the hearth remains quite cool......I'd pack the area with rockwool or similar, rather than a foamed material.

Ok thanks, do you mean a 100mm clearance in height or from the hearth edge, or both?

Regards

Typically, a wood burning stove has a clearance gap of 100mm or more from its base to the hearth - some have different leg lengths to suit the installation.
As the heat from the stove rises, you find the hearth itself remains comparatively cool.....hence the heat around the hearth is minimal, and even less below the adjacent floor boards.
I would doubt if insulation here would be much benefit, to be honest!
Smart work you've done there.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I'd feel better knowing I'd blocked all the gaps beneath the new floorboards as there's one hell of a draft from the air bricks (which is good I know).
Also, is it worth putting down a layer of dpm before the final concrete pour?

Regards

All hearths, in the early days, were made of concrete poured directly onto the ground.....therefore damp was always likely to be there to some degree. Of course, this didn't really matter because the fire would simply dry things out and no one noticed or cared.
I've found, with both of my wood burning stoves, that damp would still appear, so this summer I dug one hearth out to earth, in with a DPC and then concrete, finally facing with some black slate, 30mm thick. No sign of damp now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back