Building a hearth...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm considering building a hearth for a wood burning stove at some point in the near future.

There is currently a concrete hearth in the floor where the old back boiler used to be, and the rest of the floor is timber.

What's the best way to construct this hearth?

I was thinking a frame out of 3x2 with plywood over then tiles on top of the ply, is this reasonable?

Other suggestions i've seen are paving slabs and brick bases, but I would prefer the wood method if possible.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

I'm considering building a hearth for a wood burning stove at some point in the near future.

There is currently a concrete hearth in the floor where the old back boiler used to be, and the rest of the floor is timber.

What's the best way to construct this hearth?

I was thinking a frame out of 3x2 with plywood over then tiles on top of the ply, is this reasonable?

Other suggestions i've seen are paving slabs and brick bases, but I would prefer the wood method if possible.

Cheers!

I would first study Approved Document J, which will tell you what's required of such a hearth for building regs:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2010.pdf

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back