Do I just copy wires Hive

T

Tarquin1985

Hi all,

Before I go ahead and cause catostophic damage, I'd just like some confirmation that I'm about to carry our the correct procedure.

I'm connecting a Hive 2 receiver. Here's a picture of the old wiring:
a>

hsKWib

Unfortuntly, the Hive unit doesn't quite fit to this bracket for some reason.

Do I just put the wires in the same place on the Hive bracket which looks exactly the same?

Hive bracket:
a>

mXa43b

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a universal backplate, but not all programmers use the same terminals for the same functions, It looks likely that they will be the same, but to be certain you need to tell us:

1. The make and model of the programmer you currently have that you want to replace.

2. You will need the dual channel version of the Hive. Is that what you have?

3. Do you have an existing room thermostat, and if so how do you anticipate decommissioning it so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the new Hive. You can't just disconnect its wiring as it would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it wouldn't work. You can ignore this bit if you don't have an existing room thermostat.

Hi Stem,

Thanks for your reply. I've attached images as they explain more than words:

a>

a>

a>

We do have a thermostat. Can we just leave it in place? I read leaving it in place and turning it toax is an option?

I spoke with Hive and they sent me the unit which I needed. The only information I can find is: 'for use if you have a separate bathwater tank

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. In that case, they are the same as you can see below:

Danfoss CP715-Si

Capture.JPG

download.png

And you can leave the existing thermostat in and set on maximum, if you like. Hopefully it won't get moved. ;)

Perfect, thanks, makes life very easy!

If I decide to take the old thermostat off, what would I do with the wires?

Many thanks.

The thermostat can be decommissioned in three ways. The first method is how a professional installer would do it. You have already worked out number 3.

1. Find the origin of the thermostat cable, notice where the wires are connected and disconnect them. Then link the terminals where the two switching wires previously originated from together.

2. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the two switching wires together and isolate the neutral (if there is a neutral present)

3. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and fix it so that it is set to the highest setting. (Or put both of the switching wires in the 'Live' terminal, and isolate the Neutral, if there is a neutral present)

If you decide to do it later, and require more assistance, post back details of the wiring connections at the existing thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back