Do I need 63mm nails for 18mm t&G OSB board ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - am going to do a flat roof repacement for my extension. I have sort of settled on 18mm OSB t+g for the boards. Question is, do I really need 63mm nails for this ? If so - it implies a "Pasload" type nail gun, which are pricey (circa) £500+. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You could always screw it - 4.5 or 5.0 x 65mm chipboard or flooring screws. You probably need an impact driver - but that will cost less than a Passy (or equivalent). You could even hand nail it... At least that will keep you fit!

OP,
Chuck an appropriate bit in just about any kind of drill and you've got a power screwdriver - no need to be buying a new tool for such a brief job.
As J&K said above - "always screw it" dont nail.

Cool - I think I'll screw it. Will chipboard/flooring screws tend to countersink themselves (into 18mm OSB) ? - as I dont want to countersink myself if not needed. (Also - pilot holes yes or no ?).

Sponsored Links
Any decent driver with countersink screws in to osb, it’s just flakes of timber.

I know a guy that used a 240 drill to drive screws .it jammed up swung round smacked him in the jaw cracked it and had 16 stitches in his tongue ... So careful

Why do you think the pro use impact drivers these days? They sort of guarantee that sort of thingh won't happen - they will also (generally) sink screws pretty much every time. You can get drill/drivers which will drive screws, but they are generally 2-speed range, variable speed tools with the lower speed range in the 0 (zero) to 400 to 600rpm range. Even LiDl do one (Parkside PNS 300 A1). With screws you really need that "crawl" facility

Come on J&K, nobody buys impact drivers to protect their tongues?
Since, say, the 90's most all cheap drills have had speed control and reverse (and often even a hammer facility)
No pilot hole or c/s sink needed.

Come on J&K, nobody buys impact drivers to protect their tongues?
True - but they are a lot faster than equivalent drills and they generally sink under better than low powered cordlesses. I was being a bit tongue in cheek y'know... ;)

I believe that you've got to give people the ammo they need to get the missus to let them buy a new "toy" :ROFLMAO:

Hi guys - am going to do a flat roof repacement for my extension. I have sort of settled on 18mm OSB t+g for the boards. Question is, do I really need 63mm nails for this ? If so - it implies a "Pasload" type nail gun, which are pricey (circa) £500+. Thoughts?
Am I right in thinking ring shank nails ?

Yes - better for roofing. Just don't get them in the wrong places - they can be murder to pull out!

I know a guy that used a 240 drill to drive screws .it jammed up swung round smacked him in the jaw cracked it and had 16 stitches in his tongue ... So careful
would've been alright if it had a clutch

You could always screw it - 4.5 or 5.0 x 65mm chipboard or flooring screws. You probably need an impact driver - but that will cost less than a Passy (or equivalent). You could even hand nail it... At least that will keep you fit!
Hi JobAndKnock, looked on amazon, and came across a couple of options, which of these would you be inclined to use (see links)?

Flooring screws on amazon - seem to have thread then smooth bit then thread

or (what seem to be the more general) :

or these more general ones (which seem pricey, but hey ho)

ALSO - I have loads of decking screws left over from other jobs , but they look too thin, so I'm inclined not to use them. Agree?

Cheers - Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back