Do I need a 2nd hot water tank to support 2nd power shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Experts.
Grateful for your advice, and views:

I'm planning a new ensuite bathroom in the house, and already have a pumped shower elsewhere (fed off conventional 150l h/w tank, and cold tank in loft) - current unit seems to be doing 8 litres/min from the showerhead.

(please excuse awful calculations, and blatant assumptions on heating - I'm an IT person, so I do websites, so put me right please :cool: )

- existing 150l hw tank based on 4/lpm will be out of hw in 37min assuming 50% of the existing shower output is hot water. (completely ignoring other h./w use here btw, though all appliances are cold fill) - I assume cold tank will empty at about the same time.

If I add ANOTHER 8 l/pm pumped shower, I suspect that this 150l tank will be insufficient for my needs, and will need a friend. (existing tank has no room for a single larger one)

- Would the pressure drop of both these showers being used at the same time cause issues? valves are thermostatic so currently the single pumped shower copes fine with other water demands both hot and cold elsewhere.

- Should I add another 150L or smaller hot tank in the ensuite, and loop this into the existing boilers heat circuit (adding bypass for when its not needed perhaps, and immersion coil for heating failure), then
supply only the ensuite from this with hot, therefore avoiding balancing/mixing the two tank outputs? (tanks will be opposite ends of house also)

I have looked at instant electric showers, but the flow rate doesn't match my bad boy pumped one in winter sadly.

- I'm also assuming that the existing cold tank will need a friend too for this bathroom, existing probably 100-150L in size.

My proposed approach gives the two showers separate tanked supplies on hot and cold, and therefore avoids pressure issues as well?

If there is a water shortage in Berkshire after this, I'm sorry. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get one, larger unvented hotwater cylinder put in to feed both showers and get rid of the pumps.

Thanks breesey

Looking to avoid trashing the 1st shower if I can, as the new one will be all new, are the non vented systems not quite expensive as well?

Sponsored Links
Depends what you consider expensive! It wouldn't be a problem to the existing shower and would ultimately be your best option. It might add 3/400 quid or so to your job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back