do I need a lintel for crawl hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

I have a crawl space under the house approx 70cm high accessed by a hatch under the stairs. Some of the sleeper walls already have small holes to crawl through however I need access the rear of the house to fix a leak which means making a hole through one of the load bearing interior walls which goes up one floor. One of the bricks 5 rows up has already been removed to pass a cable through so I was going to remove/cut the bricks below this to make a hole 1.5 or possibly 2 bricks wide at the bottom (just enough to squeeze through) keeping it between the joists.

Can I make a small hole like this without needing to fit a lintel or am I being stupid? I could make the hole under the hall doorway however there is a joist right in the middle so I might need a lintel there also?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is making a whole into a diamond shape an option? Think the holes in my crawl space are like that.

Sponsored Links
ok I managed to do it without too much trouble by drilling the mortar out and knocking the bricks out with a lump hammer. Final hole is 1.5/2 bricks wide 4 courses then one brick at the top. I was a bit worried about chopping the half bricks without disturbing the rest of the wall but I drilled a few small holes in the side where I wanted them to break, chiseled a line along the top and then gave them a few hard blows with the chisel (on the top not the side) and they broke off quite nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back