Do i need a rcd socket outside??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My fuse box has RCD protected sockets/water heater/cooker.
I currently have a normal outside double socket.
I want to install a couple of water features in my garden and use this outside double socket as power souce for them.
Do i need to replace this socket with an RCD one for extra protection?
I have purchased a 5 amp 3 way waterproof switch,an MK rcd double socket and some swa cable.
The other problem is the swa cable copper wire/core is too big to fit in the 3 way switch L/N/E terminals and i know it is not right to cut off a few strands to fit in. So any advise would be useful.
Thanks....Chris

Sponsored Links
If you already have RCD protection at the consumer unit then there is no merit in installing a second RCD, on the proviso that the one installed in the consumer unit has a trip current of 30mA, or 0.03A. You can easily confirm if the socket is on a protected circuit by turning off the RCD and checking for power at the outdoor socket.

As for the SWA, were you planning on trying to move the socket as well? If you only wanted to replace like for like then a new cable should not be necessary, although it's looking unlikely you need to change it at all.

If you do want to move the outlet elsewhere then you can't use SWA straight into the back of a standard socket backbox, it simply isn't practical to terminate into there. You would need to come outside into an adaptable box and then gland the SWA off into there, and you also need to make sure the sheath is earthed. There's plenty of info on the WIKI, but unless you've had some practice then it's very unlikely you'll be able to make a good job with this type of cable on your first go.

If you were thinking about trying to put SWA into a 13A plug on one end and then your switch box on the other, don't!

Thankyou for your time in giving that advise.I think i will get someone in who knows what they are doing!
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back