Do i need a scratch coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small area to render. It is not that deep. Some of the older render is still there, so i have not gone right down to the brick. So can i just apply one coat, or do i need a scratch coat still.

In the other photo most of the render is ok and i have left it on (still white). I was planning on going over all this with a thin coat. Is this ok to do ?

If i do need a scratch coat can i put this on in the morning and do the top coat in the afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
For me - I would always go back to brick. But its difficult to see exactly what you have?
Thin coats of sand & cement/lime on render are not something I would do even with a prep of SBR.

OP, why not research back on here for how to apply/patch S&C render? There's lots of info.

For me - I would always go back to brick. But its difficult to see exactly what you have?
Thin coats of sand & cement/lime on render are not something I would do even with a prep of SBR.

OP, why not research back on here for how to apply/patch S&C render? There's lots of info.

Totally agree. Always better to go back to brick, clean/prep the area, then scratchcoat.
I'd scratchcoat the area, then let it set and cure. It's always better to scrarch it then leave it a day or so, then put on the top coat. Remember to add a drop of waterproofer in the S/Coat too, otherwise you'll have a problem with suction.

Ok if i do a scratch coat tomorrow can i come back to it next monday to do the top coat. I am away from wednesday you see, so can't do a top coat the day after. So it will be 5 days difference.

Sponsored Links
Ok if i do a scratch coat tomorrow can i come back to it next monday to do the top coat. I am away from wednesday you see, so can't do a top coat the day after. So it will be 5 days difference.

That wont be a problem at all Trevor. Once the areas been scratched, there's NO time limit as to when you put on the top render coat. Whenever you're ready, just give the s/c a good dampen down, then you're ready to put on the top coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back