why scratch coat render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to render a building that has a mix of dense concrete and lightweight blocks in the walls. Should I do a scratch coat or can it be done in one. The previous answers about render are all different! Can someone explain why a scratch coat is used please?

Sponsored Links
a scratch coat will effectively stabilize the suction, moderating it throughout the whole wall. by including admixtures to the mortar you can regulate the suction and workability of the muck.

it is also an opportunity to fill any dips or hollows should you have any.

I want to render a building that has a mix of dense concrete and lightweight blocks in the walls. Should I do a scratch coat or can it be done in one. The previous answers about render are all different! Can someone explain why a scratch coat is used please?
to plaster over dense concrete or old brick, the wall needs to be scuded (a slury type mix of one sand two cement dash on wall let dry for a few days ,scratch coat and then top coat

Sponsored Links
I painted a unibond mix on followed by scratch then top coat. It looks ok and nothings fallen off yet! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back